Apr 5, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Franklin Gutierrez could play in a few minor league games before the end of the week. The Gold Glover is currently on the disabled list with a stomach issue that dates back to last season.
The Mariners are still awaiting the results of one final test before Gutierrez will be cleared for game activity, but he has regained some weight and kept up with baseball-related exercises in recent days.
While Gutierrez is making progress, Mariners manager Eric Wedge said that he won’t play more than a few innings at a time in the minor league games, at least initially.
“Just until he starts to get a few games under his belt,” Wedge said.
For what it’s worth, Baker speculates that his return is still at least a couple weeks away. The Mariners will continue to use Ryan Langerhans and Michael Saunders in center field for the time being.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)