Apr 5, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
One of Kevin Towers’ first moves as Diamondbacks general manager was to trade for Juan Miranda, who’d been stuck behind Mark Teixeira in the Yankees’ farm system despite consistently solid production at Triple-A.
I liked the pickup at the time, seeing Miranda as a potentially useful platoon first baseman capable of putting up some nice numbers against right-handed pitching while earning the MLB minimum.
However, once the Diamondbacks brought in Russell Branyan as a free agent it became less clear that Miranda should get an extended shot at first base, because Branyan has a lengthy track record of being a very nice platoon option against righties himself.
Kirk Gibson initially avoided talking about how the playing time would work out, but admitted today that Miranda “will probably get most of the starts, the majority of them right now” because “I want to give him a chance to see how he can play.”
It makes lots of sense to platoon one of Miranda or Branyan with the right-handed-hitting Xavier Nady, so it’ll be interesting to see if the 28-year-old Miranda can hold off the 35-year-old Branyan all season. So far one has seven plate appearances and the other has six.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)