Mike Piazza, Roger Clemens talk about the thrown bat

Apr 5, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT

Roger Clemens Piazza bat

Roger Clemens and Mike Piazza were in Las Vegas for a celebrity golf tournament the other day and they did some radio together. Of course, the topic turned to the bat incident from the 2000 World Series.  I’d like to say something super interesting happened during the interview, but not really. Here’s Piazza:

I saw him catch the bat head and you know he was just so geeked up that I just think that he was kind of like catch it and get this crap outta here, so that’s what I feel like. I really don’t feel and again I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t feel  like he really threw it at me. I’m not saying he threw it at me. I’m saying maybe he felt like he was just throwing it and maybe I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I felt like honestly he hit me in the head, so if he was going to throw the bat I felt like he might have hit me with the bat, so again I look back and it was just one of those weird things.

Always succinct, that Piazza. He’s got a book coming out soon. I hope he’s paying his ghost writer well.

I do like the use of the phrase “geeked up,” though. Depending on who you believe in the upcoming perjury trial, that could either mean excited or it could be a new way to talk about being juiced to the gills. I wish he would have said “hepped up,” though, because that’s way snappier.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I’d say Piazza got even. Anyone remember the ’04 All Star game where Clemens gave up 6 runs in the first inning? Who was behind the dish calling the pitches….that’s right, the one and only Mike Piazza. Something tells me Piazza was singing like a bird back there while Clemens was being embarrassed in front of his hometown crowd.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Yeah, I saw that AS game. He not only probably told the hitters what he called he also definitely just stayed behind the plate while Clemens got shelled. After the first coupla hits a catcher should go out and talk to his pitcher, if only to point out the good looking women in the seats down the 1st base line. If I’m not mistaken he called about 8 fastballs in a row, too, all of them over the plate.

• Kevin S. - Apr 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Clemens was confused – he couldn’t figure out what pitch the middle finger was supposed to be calling for.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

you think an all star game is getting back for losing a WS? LOL typical muts fan, ill take the Ring over the NL all star bragging rights anyday!

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM

ahhh, harry. It wouldn’t me an HBT day for me without the piquant odor of your vitriol to dampen what was merely a humorous little back and forth. Your standards are impossibly high for us lowly peons commenting herein. Perhaps you should seek other fare at a more suitable site for your expectations? I hear Mensa maintains a webpage somewhere?

here you go;

buh bye

2. Jonny 5 - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM

It seems, and it fits mind you… That Piazza was basically saying Clemmens was high.

3. dickclydesdale - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Clem was indeed throwing the bat at Piazza just as he threw at his head.
    Clem gives the excuse that he thought the bat was a ball which is complete b.s.
    Clem is going to prison for being a liar so enough said!

• metalhead65 - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM

as much as that should be the case don’t worry I am sure his lawyer will come up with the proper legal technacality to get him off,seeing how the constitution protects such things like that.

• clydeserra - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

First off, he has the worlds worst legal counsel.

Second, please take a remedial civics class. You are dead wrong on the constitution.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Um clyde, I think metalhead was just using humor there. I mean in the context of what he wrote, it sure fits the bill.

• clydeserra - Apr 5, 2011 at 4:27 PM

uh, Ok, Sorry then.

I stand by comment one though.

4. metalhead65 - Apr 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM

lighten up francis er I mean clyde. yea that was supposed to be funny and I tossed in the constituion because craig threw it at me when I dared question that guilty people like bonds get off because of some technicality. like any evidence used against him is inadmissable because he did not know he was being taped or something like that. anyway most reasonable people would agree if he is convicted or not he is guilty same as bonds.

5. cleareye1 - Apr 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Clemens and Bonds, two of baseballs “modern” heroes. It’s such a shame because they could have gone to the Hall on natural talent alone. Now they’ll be in the asterisk hall.

6. tsi4431 - Apr 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I never understood why
    if Clemens thought the broken bat was the baseball why then did he throw the “baseball” in Piazza’s direction, and not toward the first baseman for the easy out.

Piazza was no more then 3 steps off the plate. Clemens would have to of throw the ball another 70 feet up the line to be anywhere near the first baseman.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM

1.) Clemens is full of sh!t. He played baseball for how long and he claims not to have been able to tell the difference between wood (with dulled-down corners, no less) and leather, not to mention that a bat weighs way more than a baseball?

2.) The argument (but re-read what I said in 1.) could potentially made that if he did, in fact, think it was a baseball (he would be a moron), and Piazza was so close to the plate, then maybe he was throwing in the general direction of Posada.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Ut, you said all you needed to say in the first 5 words of item 1 there.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3210)