Apr 5, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Roger Clemens and Mike Piazza were in Las Vegas for a celebrity golf tournament the other day and they did some radio together. Of course, the topic turned to the bat incident from the 2000 World Series. I’d like to say something super interesting happened during the interview, but not really. Here’s Piazza:
I saw him catch the bat head and you know he was just so geeked up that I just think that he was kind of like catch it and get this crap outta here, so that’s what I feel like. I really don’t feel and again I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t feel like he really threw it at me. I’m not saying he threw it at me. I’m saying maybe he felt like he was just throwing it and maybe I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I felt like honestly he hit me in the head, so if he was going to throw the bat I felt like he might have hit me with the bat, so again I look back and it was just one of those weird things.
Always succinct, that Piazza. He’s got a book coming out soon. I hope he’s paying his ghost writer well.
I do like the use of the phrase “geeked up,” though. Depending on who you believe in the upcoming perjury trial, that could either mean excited or it could be a new way to talk about being juiced to the gills. I wish he would have said “hepped up,” though, because that’s way snappier.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)