Apr 5, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
Out since mid-March with a broken toe, Scott Downs threw a 15-pitch simulated game this afternoon and reported no problems.
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that Downs also participated in some fielding drills and could be close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment, with an eye toward joining the Angels’ bullpen at some point next week.
Downs is expected to serve as a setup man after signing a three-year, $15 million deal with the Angels as a free agent this winter, but could emerge as a closing alternative to Fernando Rodney if manager Mike Scioscia isn’t ready to hand ninth-inning duties over to flame-throwing rookie Jordan Walden.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)