Apr 5, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Someone’s gonna catch hell for this. The guild does not like it when spring training stories slip into the regular season. It just totally screws up the whole deal:
In Gavin Floyd‘s estimation, he ran into trouble before he stepped on the mound last season.
During the day, Floyd would load up on carbohydrates and finish the day with “lots of deserts.”
“Everyone has a sweet tooth,” Floyd said.
Thanks to a more disciplined diet, Floyd dropped 25 pounds in the offseason, which he hopes will translate into pitching deep into the season and not suffer the hip problem he experienced at the end of 2009 because of excess weight.
That’s great and all, but what’s next? Guys “just gettin’ their work in” in July? Pitchers developing a new pitch in June? Team chemistry going into the dumper and managers getting fired in March? There’s a natural order to things, you know? To upset that is to invite chaos.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)