Apr 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
This is a weird story: The Yankees have run “subway races” on their scoreboard for a few years now. Basically they’re the on-screen equivalent of the racing sausages or presidents or what have you. Lots of parks do it with various characters. Subways, dots, ducks, etc.
Until this year, the three racing subways had always been labeled as the B train, the D train and the number 4 train, which are the three subway lines that serve Yankee Stadium. For complicated reasons that sound more like a “Three’s Company” episode than a business negotiation over naming rights for an animated feature, the Yankees ended up changing the labeling to “Road Gray,” “Midnight Blue” and “Pinstripes” this season. This angered people. Partially because people don’t like change. Partially because people don’t like dumb things.
Anyway, it all seems to be resolved now, as MTA and the Yankees have agreed to change things back to B, D and 4 starting tonight. This, I think, is a good thing.
For my part, the “racing whatevers” thing is done well in Milwaukee and everyplace else is derivative or lame. Especially when it’s contrived and one of the racers — like Teddy Roosevelt at Nats Park or Mustard at Columbus Clippers games — never get to win. It’s tired. My suggestion is that we should replace these contests with something more … interesting.
Like a hunt. For the most dangerous prey of all: man.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)