Apr 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
This is a weird story: The Yankees have run “subway races” on their scoreboard for a few years now. Basically they’re the on-screen equivalent of the racing sausages or presidents or what have you. Lots of parks do it with various characters. Subways, dots, ducks, etc.
Until this year, the three racing subways had always been labeled as the B train, the D train and the number 4 train, which are the three subway lines that serve Yankee Stadium. For complicated reasons that sound more like a “Three’s Company” episode than a business negotiation over naming rights for an animated feature, the Yankees ended up changing the labeling to “Road Gray,” “Midnight Blue” and “Pinstripes” this season. This angered people. Partially because people don’t like change. Partially because people don’t like dumb things.
Anyway, it all seems to be resolved now, as MTA and the Yankees have agreed to change things back to B, D and 4 starting tonight. This, I think, is a good thing.
For my part, the “racing whatevers” thing is done well in Milwaukee and everyplace else is derivative or lame. Especially when it’s contrived and one of the racers — like Teddy Roosevelt at Nats Park or Mustard at Columbus Clippers games — never get to win. It’s tired. My suggestion is that we should replace these contests with something more … interesting.
Like a hunt. For the most dangerous prey of all: man.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)