Apr 6, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
This is a weird story: The Yankees have run “subway races” on their scoreboard for a few years now. Basically they’re the on-screen equivalent of the racing sausages or presidents or what have you. Lots of parks do it with various characters. Subways, dots, ducks, etc.
Until this year, the three racing subways had always been labeled as the B train, the D train and the number 4 train, which are the three subway lines that serve Yankee Stadium. For complicated reasons that sound more like a “Three’s Company” episode than a business negotiation over naming rights for an animated feature, the Yankees ended up changing the labeling to “Road Gray,” “Midnight Blue” and “Pinstripes” this season. This angered people. Partially because people don’t like change. Partially because people don’t like dumb things.
Anyway, it all seems to be resolved now, as MTA and the Yankees have agreed to change things back to B, D and 4 starting tonight. This, I think, is a good thing.
For my part, the “racing whatevers” thing is done well in Milwaukee and everyplace else is derivative or lame. Especially when it’s contrived and one of the racers — like Teddy Roosevelt at Nats Park or Mustard at Columbus Clippers games — never get to win. It’s tired. My suggestion is that we should replace these contests with something more … interesting.
Like a hunt. For the most dangerous prey of all: man.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)