Apr 6, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
There was word earlier this week that Harmon Killebrew — who has been battling esophageal cancer — was going to throw the first pitch out at the Twins’ home opener on Friday. Now it seems that he won’t make it due because he doesn’t want to interrupt his treatment schedule. Tony Oliva will do the honors in his place, with Killebrew’s grandson catching.
Apologies if I sound like an emotional spaz about this, but this kind of makes me worry. I’m guessing the treatment schedule has been in place a while, including when he first agreed to throw the pitch. He says that his treatment is going well and he hopes to make a full recovery. I hope that’s true and this doesn’t mean that his health won’t permit him to travel to Minnesota.
Sorry. I just have an irrational love of Harmon Killebrew, built mostly on the power of baseball cards I had when I was a kid and stories I’ve heard people who have had the privilege to know him well have told me. I’m going to be a bit more wobbly with him than I might be with other ex-ballplayers.
Get well soon, Harmon.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)