Nevermind: Dallas Braden is starting tonight, as scheduled

Apr 6, 2011, 3:22 PM EDT

Dallas Braden 2

UPDATE: I’m not sure exactly what happened here, but apparently Braden is just fine and will start as scheduled tonight.

This morning Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote:

I’ve just had it confirmed: Tyson Ross will come up to start tonight in place of Dallas Braden.

And now she writes:

For the record, the Athletics say there is no change in their starting pitcher. It’s Braden, as Buster Olney reported hours ago.

So much for “confirmed.”

==========

Dallas Braden has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start against the Blue Jays and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that there’s speculation about him having a neck injury, but the A’s have yet to confirm or deny that.

Tyson Ross will be called up and may start in Braden’s place after losing the fifth-starter battle to Brandon McCarthy during spring training, but it could be just a one-start cameo because even if Braden can’t avoid the disabled list his stint could be backdated to his final spring start and make him eligible to return next week.

Assuming that Braden’s injury isn’t serious, of course. We should know more on that in a bit.

1. yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Did someone walk across the mound again, getting his neck out of joint?

2. cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Ah, crap. I was looking forward to the 209 v the Beaver Men. Oy, oy, oy. It’s Jesse Litsch tonight & I was counting on Braden’s head case pitching style to get us thru this one. The A’s will KILL Listch who throws about as hard as my 14 year old daughter. This’ll be interesting….

3. heffmessina - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

His neck told him to”stick it”, to which he responded “we don’t skip starts in the 209″

4. APBA Guy - Apr 6, 2011 at 3:10 PM

As long as the Gio Whisperer stays with the team, things will be ok. When he’s not in the dugout Gio gets really shaky, and that’s bad for the A’s. Ross threw well in Spring, it is actually a good thing to get him some starts, since the A’s figure to have a lot of pitcher DL days before the season is over.

5. cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The 209 is on! Excellent. That guy relies on his D to get him his outs. I saw those dudes in action last night and I gotta say; Braden shoulda stayed on the DL. If the Kouz starts at 3rd, then there is NO ONE covering 3rd and Braden’s muffin breaking balls will be rolling down the line all evening unless he can get a screwball or 2 over the plate to keep the Jays honest.

• spindervish - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

FYI, I’m pretty sure Braden abandoned the screwball like 2 years ago.

• cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Really? Too bad. Its one of the few things I knew about him except for the perfect game, the 209 reference, and his breaking stuff looks like a hitters dream. I’m really looking forward to watching him to see if he’s sharp with the breaking pitches and if his FB is over 90. Litsch barely throws 90 but his change is good, or was last season, and I have no idea if his other stuff has improved as yet. I think its about even on the mound tonight; neither guy’s gonna blow anyone away and we’ll see who has the better D and offense. I got the Jays for better D but the A’s offense didn’t need the miscues to put up most of their runs.

6. Old Gator - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:18 PM

APBAguy is back in his catbird seat, and all is right with the sunset side of America again. I need to start watching this team on the Insomnia Channel again.

7. jwbiii - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

And maybe he shouldn’t have. . .

8. cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Poor 209. He deserved better tonight. Jesse Litstch, who’s grown a bright red beard so now he looks like Hagar the Horrible, still throws a FB like a teenage girl; however that chick has a wicked cutter that she can break either way, her change is as good as I remembered and every once in a while she sneaks a 4 seam FB past 91 mph. Woooo, Jays win! They’re 4 -1 now & tied with the O’s. We lost Escobar, but not before he did some damage. Actually that was hard to watch when he went back in the field after cracking his head on LaRoche’s knee; he obviously had a concussion. I was immensely grateful when they got out of that inning without him keeling over. I think he’s done for the next 7 at least. His neck was jammed backwards pretty hard.
    The 209 was pretty solid tonight; his D really let him down and his grasp of English grammar let him down too as this was his quote; “It’s game five, right?” he asked. “We’ve got a long road to hoe.” Dude, really? It’s ‘hoe a row’ not ‘road’. Hoeing a road won’t work unless you were spelling it ‘h-o” then I suggest you get other work because you aint pretty. Also making me happy tonight are the Rangers, who, in spite of Ron Washington’s complete and utter inability to manage (I’ve heard from other posters how awful he is; can’t really see it m’self, but people that emphatic must be right, right?) still seem to be winning. Maybe Ron should call up Fancona & Madden & give them some tips on how to suck as a manager yet still win games?

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka