Apr 6, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Before that happens he’ll need to avoid setbacks while throwing a bullpen session Friday and then making a minor-league rehab start at Single-A, so manager Don Mattingly stressed that an April 15 return would be “the best-case scenario.”
By signing Garland to a one-year deal this offseason the Dodgers headed into spring training with six starters for five rotation spots, but Garland’s strained oblique muscle and Vicente Padilla‘s forearm surgery quickly caused that depth to vanish.
Mattingly told Perkins that Garland has been pushing hard to come off the disabled list sooner than the Dodgers have mapped out, which isn’t surprising given that his incentive-laden contract has significant bonuses based on innings.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)