Rafael Soriano apologized for skipping out on media last night

Apr 6, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT

Soriano_Rafael

Rafael Soriano drew the ire of Yankees beat writers last night after he left the clubhouse without talking to them about his poor outing against the Twins, with several media members taking him to task publicly.

Bryan Hoch of MLB.com tweeted that Soriano apologized to reporters this afternoon:

Soriano apologizes for not speaking to media. Says he was upset for CC. Girardi says not an issue in clubhouse.  Soriano said he didn’t feel like he had his balance on the mound. He said his mom called from the DR asking if it was too cold for him.

That qualifies as doing the right thing, but it won’t matter one bit if he does it again and there are still 157 games to go. Beyond that, as Craig wrote this morning the media members are hardly the only people with a reason to be upset at Soriano, as his failing to speak to reporters put his teammates in the position of answering for him.

Soriano is a good enough pitcher that he can make this entire thing largely a moot point by simply making his poor outings few and far between, but he’s already learning that media coverage is a whole lot different in New York than it was in Tampa Bay, especially after signing a $35 million contract.

1. cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Ah, yes, way to go Raffi. Better late than never. Did he do it in English or Spanish? I’m hoping for Spanish; worked for Sosa.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM

ah ….. did you know Spanish is the language most spoken in the world, I guess
      your American, figures.

you speak two languages Bi-lingual
      you speak one language you are American

hahahahahahahahaahh

• Glenn - Apr 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM

That’s ‘you’re” not “your”, of course I have no idea how to say either in any other language.

• cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Cabron; Je n’est pas Amrerican. Je suis Canadien. Je parlez l’anglais, francais et un petit Espaniol as the mood strikes me and as I am wont to do. Hell I’d even throw in the accent aigu etc if I knew how to get my keyboard to type en francais, oui? As to what that English/Spanish stuff’s about; see my original comment from the 1st post of the day about Raffi. Just some harmless, tongue in cheek advice on dealing with the media, si? Ay caramba, …

• BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

WRONG.
        Most spoken language = English
        Most natively spoken language = Mandarin Chinese

2. patthewvvilke - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I think Girardi has more questions to answer than Soriano. It was puzzling that he went with Soriano with a 4 run lead in the 8th when he pitched the night before. If tonight’s game is close, Soriano has now pitched two days in a row, with a long outing yesterday. Robertson would have been more logical in this situation.

• cur68 - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I was told yesterday that the best a manager can do is ‘get out of the way and let the players play’. Using that logic, Joe’s smelling like roses and Raffi’s got a lot to answer for, Spanish or English. Frankly, I agree with you. WTF was Girardi doing?

• phukyouk - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM

the super best part is that Garcia is pitching tonight and SoMo will not available. i hat egirardi sooooooooooooooooooooo much.

3. spudchukar - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Sure it wasn’t Kosher what Soriano did after the game, but come on, show me someone who hasn’t been pissed and said I don’t feel like talking to anyone. So he comes out today, apologizes, explains, faces the media, end of story.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I have no problem with Joe sending Soriano out there. He should be able to pitch back-to-back days. BUT, it was obvious 2 batters into his inning that Soriano didn’t have it. Sometimes that will happen. Robertson was warmed up (as he had warmed up for each and every Yankee game so far this season) but Joe left Soriano in. His pitch count crept past 25, then past 30, and Joe left him in (remember he pitched the night before). Relievers will have bad days. Acknowledge it and let one of the other guys get in there.

I think Damaso has not been the same since Girardi let him throw something like 60 pitches in a game against Texas, which unsurprisingly ended with a grad slam by a RHB (Marlon Byrd?). Marte was on the DL shortly after that, and other than the 2009 playoffs, has never really been the same. Maybe we can call it Harang syndrome.

I tend to think Girardi make a plan on the morning of game day, and refuses to budge from it no matter what happens.

5. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I’m not going to go nuts because Girardi blew a game in April, if this were October he wouldn’t have done
    any of what he did last night, he doesn’t know anything about Soriano, how he does his job how he is mentally etc., remember he was a closer and now he is Mo’s set up man who will occasionally close. I can’t believe Yankee fans are worried about a team that is 3-2 while the saux are 0 for 2011. Relax and get a grip!!!
    Mike Francesa almost had a heart attack because dum dum Yankee fans calling him today, about a sutpid game in April,didnt Joe win a world series a few years back.

6. scastro87 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

“Beyond that, as Craig wrote this morning the media members are hardly the only people with a reason to be upset at Soriano, as his failing to speak to reporters put his teammates in the position of answering for him.”

But his teammates only have to answer for him because the media will ask about him and make it an issue if he’s not there. How many fans honestly care about a player’s post game comments?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4769)