Apr 6, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
Rafael Soriano drew the ire of Yankees beat writers last night after he left the clubhouse without talking to them about his poor outing against the Twins, with several media members taking him to task publicly.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com tweeted that Soriano apologized to reporters this afternoon:
Soriano apologizes for not speaking to media. Says he was upset for CC. Girardi says not an issue in clubhouse. Soriano said he didn’t feel like he had his balance on the mound. He said his mom called from the DR asking if it was too cold for him.
That qualifies as doing the right thing, but it won’t matter one bit if he does it again and there are still 157 games to go. Beyond that, as Craig wrote this morning the media members are hardly the only people with a reason to be upset at Soriano, as his failing to speak to reporters put his teammates in the position of answering for him.
Soriano is a good enough pitcher that he can make this entire thing largely a moot point by simply making his poor outings few and far between, but he’s already learning that media coverage is a whole lot different in New York than it was in Tampa Bay, especially after signing a $35 million contract.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)