Apr 6, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
Rafael Soriano drew the ire of Yankees beat writers last night after he left the clubhouse without talking to them about his poor outing against the Twins, with several media members taking him to task publicly.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com tweeted that Soriano apologized to reporters this afternoon:
Soriano apologizes for not speaking to media. Says he was upset for CC. Girardi says not an issue in clubhouse. Soriano said he didn’t feel like he had his balance on the mound. He said his mom called from the DR asking if it was too cold for him.
That qualifies as doing the right thing, but it won’t matter one bit if he does it again and there are still 157 games to go. Beyond that, as Craig wrote this morning the media members are hardly the only people with a reason to be upset at Soriano, as his failing to speak to reporters put his teammates in the position of answering for him.
Soriano is a good enough pitcher that he can make this entire thing largely a moot point by simply making his poor outings few and far between, but he’s already learning that media coverage is a whole lot different in New York than it was in Tampa Bay, especially after signing a $35 million contract.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)