Apr 6, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram the Rangers are close to signing outfielder Leonys Martin, who was declared a free agent last month after defecting from Cuba in 2010.
No word yet on how much the Rangers would be shelling out sign the 23-year-old, but last year John Manuel of Baseball America speculated that Martin “figures to garner a seven-figure signing bonus once he establishes residency and becomes a free agent.”
Here’s an excerpt from Manuel’s scouting report:
He’s a left-handed hitter whose best tools are his speed and defense. He’s a plus runner at least, being timed in 4.1 seconds to first base from the left side … and showed strong small-ball skills, with the ability to drag bunt for hits and handle the bat on the hit-and-run. He also played center field and showed at least average range.
Sounds like an intriguing player, particularly with the Rangers’ current speedy center fielder, Julio Borbon, struggling so much defensively. Wilson writes that Martin would likely start out in the minors, but he’s seemingly not far from being MLB-ready.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)