Apr 6, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez had hoped to avoid the disabled list after a cut in his right thumb cuticle caused problems gripping the ball in his Opening Day start, but today the Rockies put him on the shelf and called up Greg Reynolds to take his spot in the rotation.
Reynolds, who lost the fifth starter competition to Esmil Rogers during spring training, will pitch Saturday against the Pirates. Jimenez is eligible to return from the DL as soon as April 17, so he may end up missing only two starts.
Reynolds was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft, going one spot ahead of Evan Longoria while Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw, and Brandon Morrow also went in the top 10. He debuted with the Rockies in 2008, but went 2-8 with an 8.13 ERA in 62 innings, missed most of 2009 with a shoulder injury that required surgery, and struggled in the minors last season.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)