Apr 6, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez had hoped to avoid the disabled list after a cut in his right thumb cuticle caused problems gripping the ball in his Opening Day start, but today the Rockies put him on the shelf and called up Greg Reynolds to take his spot in the rotation.
Reynolds, who lost the fifth starter competition to Esmil Rogers during spring training, will pitch Saturday against the Pirates. Jimenez is eligible to return from the DL as soon as April 17, so he may end up missing only two starts.
Reynolds was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft, going one spot ahead of Evan Longoria while Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw, and Brandon Morrow also went in the top 10. He debuted with the Rockies in 2008, but went 2-8 with an 8.13 ERA in 62 innings, missed most of 2009 with a shoulder injury that required surgery, and struggled in the minors last season.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)