Selig talks about the Wilpons, contraction, expanding the playoffs and more

Apr 6, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Bud Selig defiant

Bud Selig was on SiriusXM with Chris “Mad Dog” Russo yesterday, and he held forth in his usual Budly manner on the topics of the Mets financial situation, that contraction nonsense, realignment, expanded playoffs and the Barry Bonds trial.  The highlights:

• The most newsworthy thing of the interview was Bud’s statement that the Mets did not ask major league baseball for a second loan last fall. This contradicts reports that the Mets sought additional assistance from the league after its initial infusion of $25 million. Selig said that no second request was ever made. There have since been reports that the team was working with banks in an attempt to secure additional loans, but according to Bud, they have not approached the league;
  • Russo asked Selig if he ordered Wilpon to hire Sandy Alderson as his general manager, which some have suggested. Selig denied ordering such a thing, but said he shared with Fred his “intense feelings about Sandy.”
  • Selig on the contraction nonsense that won’t die, most recently the one in Forbes: “I’m not sure where that came from.  We have not discussed contraction at all.”  Selig was also critical of the Forbes piece about franchise values, wondering where they get their info given how the owners tend to keep it a secret. Between those two topics, it’s safe to say that Selig is not a fan of Forbes.
  • Selig was more open to the idea of realignment of some kind, hoping that it gets done before his time as Commissioner is up in 2012, but said it’s not on anyone’s radar on the moment.
  • Expanded playoffs, however, are on the agenda and could happen as soon as next year. I agree it’s inevitable. I also hate the idea, but no one asks me about such things.
  • Finally, Selig was asked if he’s following the Barry Bonds trial. He said no, and that he considers the steroids stuff to be a thing of the past:

I’m more concerned with now and what’s gone on the last five years.  I’m damn proud of where we are.  We’ve cleaned up the sport, banned amphetamines, by the way.  And so, Chris, we’re in a position where, you know, I’m testing for HGH in the minor leagues.  We have the severest penalties of any sport.  I had George Mitchell do all that for me but now we’ve moved on and there’s just nothing more to say.”

And thus spake the Commissioner.

1. spudchukar - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM

“Budly Manner” should be officially declared part of the American lexicon.

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

“Budly Manor” should be the name of the new Milwaukee stadium he crammed down the people of Milwaukee’s throats after they twice voted not to build it.

“Between those two topics, it’s safe to say that Selig is not a fan of Forbes.” Yes, but only because Bud himself is a capitalist tool.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM

He always reminds me of Paul Ford in “The Music Man”. You know the scene:
    Mayor: “Someday they’ll erect of a statue of me!”
    Wife: “Well, don’t pose for it now”

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM

The difference is, when you pass Paul Ford on the sidewalk you experience no Mephistophelian urge to stick a foot out and hoping he’ll fall teeth first to the cement.

3. pmcenroe - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I’ve posted about this before, but I don’t see the downside to adding a one game wildcard playoff game. If they make it a 3-game series then this comment is void, but a one game playoff seems to be a prefect compromise between old and new school fans. It adds the excitement/revenue for fans/owners in additional cities down the strech. Also it slightly hampers those teams by having to burn their ace before the division series. Then you only call the winner of that game the sole wildcard. So really you aren’t adding any addtional playoff teams (ex. I def. dont feel the Twins made the playoffs by losing game 163 to White Sox in ’08 and I’m sure Det and SD fans feel the same way.) I think this could be a great addition to MLB however I must admit I have no idea how they would solve the problem of having multiple teams tied for that final spot.

4. 12strikes - Apr 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

When Bud speaks all I hear is the Teacher from the Charlie Brown cartoons:
    Whaa Whhaaa Wha whawhaaaa

5. jwbiii - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Selig should be upset with Forbes. The last two teams to sell went for 31% and 9% more than their most recent valuations.

• jwbiii - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I was looking at the wrong year. The Cubs sold for 21% over the prior valuation, not 9%.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3240)