Swagger Alert! Apparently the Red Sox need some of it

Apr 6, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Headline in Rob Bradford’s column about the reeling Red Sox over at WEEI: “Red Sox in search of their swagger (and a win).”  Content:

Everybody understands that the Red Sox have the potential to be what Ortiz mandated all who wear the uniform be back in ’07 — bad blankety-blanks. And every player Tuesday night seemed as steadfast in the belief that their talent was going to ultimately win out as they did prior to playing in from 9,025 (the smallest collection of fans to watch a Red Sox game since 2000).

The problem is that they haven’t found the key to unlock their inner-bad-blankety-blank-ness.

Where I come from, you don’t simply choose to have “swagger” and to become a “bad (blankety-blank)”  in order to accomplish something. Rather, you attain and become such things as a result of your accomplishments.  But maybe I’m just doing it wrong. Maybe I’m just forgetting all of the good examples of teams and players who were described as having “swagger” or being “bad (blankety-blanks)” despite having won nothing. I mean I must be, right? Because if not, it would mean that such concepts are so much ex-post-facto baloney.

1. Joe - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Thank goodness Rob Bradford has clubhouse access, so he can report on Swagger.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The Red Sox do not need an adjustment. They are perfectly inadequate as is.

2. andrewf16 - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Meh, they don’t need swagger to win. They need heaping dose of scrap! Increase the scrappiness by 50 percent.

• kiwicricket - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM

In other words….’Sign David Now’ ???

3. Old Gator - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Why not just let them play with their flies open until they start winning consistently? If that doesn’t generate a sense of insouciance, nothing will.

• kiwicricket - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Sand in your underwear has never helped anyone. Ever.

• heynerdlinger - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Says you…

4. bigharold - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Wow, the natives are getting restless.

It’s true that “swagger” is the result of winning , not the other way around which is why the RS are seemingly devoid of it at the moment. Right now all the RS have is high expectations from themselves and their fans. As enjoyable as it is to see the RS start the season 0-4 it really doesn’t say a lot about the team. Of course the longer their stumbling goes one the weightier those expectations will seem. Which, I’m not ashamed to say, a win win for Yankees fans!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM

It’s true that “swagger” is the result of winning , not the other way around

Rex Ryan and the NY Jets would like a word with you, and tons of basketball players have “swagger” without winning much.

• rynev - Apr 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I’m pretty sure swagger without winning is just referred to as cockiness or arrogance. I think by definition it requires winning.

• bigharold - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM

“Rex Ryan and the NY Jets would like a word with you,…’

As a Jet fan I love the Big Man but it ain’t bragging if you can back it up. Two ACF championship games in a row ain’t exactly bad.

J! E! T! S!, … JETS! JETS! JETS!

5. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Full meltdown in Boston right now. So much for the “best team ever” stuff LMAO.

I wish everyone could watch or listen to the local Boston media right now, Priceless

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Laugh now, but as Salman Rushdie wrote in Shame, “Life is very long.”

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM

4 games pal…remember a few years back the Sox took the first 8 from the Yanks…how did that turn out? It is a long season for a reason.

6. oldpaddy - Apr 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The team could use a Mo Vaughn type right now.
    I remember one game that the bullpen gave up a 7 run lead, Vaughn started to scream and trash the dugout.
    Vaughn was the best, he had dirt dog “swagger”.

7. Jonny 5 - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM

No, bad motha #@%&as do exist. They are rarely overpaid overweight dh’s. ;) Where’s the laser show?

8. Lukehart80 - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM

It seems to me that the stuff about “playing in from (sic) 9,025 (the smallest collection of fans to watch a Red Sox game since 2000)” stuff is more a problem for the Indians, not so much for the Red Sox.

Besides, as has been said by many other level-headed people, it’s four games, people. Boston has almost six months to make up Baltimore’s four-game lead.

9. IdahoMariner - Apr 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I’m so excited that my team can be called bad-asses, even when they aren’t winning. I mean, I hope they turn things around this year, but it’s awesome to know that when other people call them “losers” I can say, “No, no, no — they are bad-asses! Totally.” And when they laugh at me for saying that, I can refer them to Rob Bradford. Cool.

10. baseballisboring - Apr 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM

4 games.

Count ‘em…1-2-3-4

As in one more than 3, one less than 5

As in like, 3% of the season

As in, the whole rotation hasn’t even had a turn yet

If that’s not clear enough then…whatever.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4724)