Apr 6, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Headline in Rob Bradford’s column about the reeling Red Sox over at WEEI: “Red Sox in search of their swagger (and a win).” Content:
Everybody understands that the Red Sox have the potential to be what Ortiz mandated all who wear the uniform be back in ’07 — bad blankety-blanks. And every player Tuesday night seemed as steadfast in the belief that their talent was going to ultimately win out as they did prior to playing in from 9,025 (the smallest collection of fans to watch a Red Sox game since 2000).
The problem is that they haven’t found the key to unlock their inner-bad-blankety-blank-ness.
Where I come from, you don’t simply choose to have “swagger” and to become a “bad (blankety-blank)” in order to accomplish something. Rather, you attain and become such things as a result of your accomplishments. But maybe I’m just doing it wrong. Maybe I’m just forgetting all of the good examples of teams and players who were described as having “swagger” or being “bad (blankety-blanks)” despite having won nothing. I mean I must be, right? Because if not, it would mean that such concepts are so much ex-post-facto baloney.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)