Apr 6, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Headline in Rob Bradford’s column about the reeling Red Sox over at WEEI: “Red Sox in search of their swagger (and a win).” Content:
Everybody understands that the Red Sox have the potential to be what Ortiz mandated all who wear the uniform be back in ’07 — bad blankety-blanks. And every player Tuesday night seemed as steadfast in the belief that their talent was going to ultimately win out as they did prior to playing in from 9,025 (the smallest collection of fans to watch a Red Sox game since 2000).
The problem is that they haven’t found the key to unlock their inner-bad-blankety-blank-ness.
Where I come from, you don’t simply choose to have “swagger” and to become a “bad (blankety-blank)” in order to accomplish something. Rather, you attain and become such things as a result of your accomplishments. But maybe I’m just doing it wrong. Maybe I’m just forgetting all of the good examples of teams and players who were described as having “swagger” or being “bad (blankety-blanks)” despite having won nothing. I mean I must be, right? Because if not, it would mean that such concepts are so much ex-post-facto baloney.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)