Adam Dunn wants to play today

Apr 7, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Dunn_Adam

Adam Dunn had an appendectomy at 2AM yesterday morning. Despite this, he tells Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago that he’d like to play against the Rays today in the White Sox’ home opener.  He also said that he has healing powers like Wolverine, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

It seems silly for Dunn to come back so quickly, but part of me would love it, given that so many Reds fans (and announcers named Marty Brennaman) liked to talk about Dunn as if he were a shiftless anti-gamer who didn’t care about baseball. Which was never a legitimate criticism of the guy even if his defense is terrible.  Oh, and given that Ozzie Guillen used Juan Pierre as a DH yesterday, I’m guessing the White Sox would like to see him back.

Oh, and I’d like him to hit a Roy Hobbs-style homer run, stitches bleeding through his jersey too. Day game, though, so the lights exploding won’t look as good.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Maybe I’ve long misunderstood what exactly an appendectomy was or something, but the speedy (read: ill-advised) returns of Matt Holliday and Adam Dunn suggest that it’s not a procedure in which a part of you is ready is explode (or something) so you have someone cut you open and cut out said part before stitching you back up.

See, because that sounds like the type of thing that you might want to let heal up completely before going out and swinging a bat like a crazed lumberjack trying to take down a sequoia.

I get the “he’s a gamer” aspect and the whole “real men come back quick” mindset, but we live in the era of pitch counts and babying players because they’re “multi-million dollar investments” not just ballplayers. So how is it that everyone is so keen on rushing back to very well-paid, heavy hitters just days after a moderately invasive surgery?!

• okobojicat - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I think the players want to rush back because they can’t necessarily reinjure themselves after a certain point. The internal stiches have done their job.

The reason it probably still advised is that there probably is not a small amount of pain involved. If the player can play through the pain, and be better than his possible replacement, no reason not to bring him back.

• randomdigits - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM

If Ben Roethlisberger can come back and play in an NFL game in less then a week I don’t see why Dunn can’t DH in a game.

Of course when Hayden Penn was a prospect for the O’s he missed a couple months with an appendectomy, then again he had healing powers like Mole man.

2. bigxrob - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM

He’s delusional

• BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

But he’s a ballplayer. And in the best shape of his life. And he’s scrappy. (Well, OK, someone the size of a refrigerator can’t be scrappy I guess).

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Are you just fishing to so if I’m gonna call him a ‘natural athlete’ BC? Cause I’m not. No one can stretch the truth THAT much!

3. jeffbbf - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

It was a laproscopic (i.e. minimally invasive) procedure. Very small incisions. While a 1 day turnaround is very optimistic, it’s not like the old days where they opened you up to take the thing out.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM

You get in there and play, bub.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM

C’mon, he was high as a kite. I had this surgery, and they send you home with a bottle of happy pills. I hurt myself moving furniture afterwards. He more than likely thinks he IS wolverine, or his ugly step brother or something. Once the pills are gone he’ll be sensible. I’d say this is equal to a minor abdominal tear.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM

That’s it! Dunn is Sabretooth!

6. cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM

There are 3 ways to jerk and appendix (and counting); split your seams, laparoscopically, or through a natural body opening (yes I do mean out your a$$). I don’t know which procedure he had, but the smart money is the lap. If so then I’m with Jonny 5 on this; it’s the percocet talking. If he comes back before a week he’ll be gone for 6 with the New Black to go with his When To Wear White fashion statement. We should start a pool on when the next guy goes down; who will it be and will it be an oblique strain or an appendix.

• kinggeorge96 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM

My uncle had his appendix taken out through his belly button.. no other scars. Sounds like Dunn could be ready to play! What’s a little overnight surgery between friends?

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

That’s a laparoscopic removal. Minimally invasive but still with stitches in the ole tum tum. The chances of a quick turnaround are great improved if you’ve got a rigid six pack; tons of blood flow, healthy, in shape muscle, and plenty of support for the surgical site. Last I saw of Dun; he’s got a great gut on him, don’t he? At least a 2nd trimester gut. That is not the physique of a man who’ll bounce back quick. See you in a week Adam.

7. Jonny 5 - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Dunn was seen with an ash bat protruding from his forearm. He is a bastard Wolverine-ish military freak show. They scrapped him because they forgot to give him a glove.

8. Chipmaker - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Meh. If Dunn had Wolverine-like healing powers, he wouldn’t have had appendicitis to begin with.

9. ta192 - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I guess Wolverine-like healing powers are even BETTER than Tiger blood, but I wish the man would take a reasonable amount of time to recover…I’ve known for years that jocks are strange, but this is just crazy…

10. royhobbs39 - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM

If he wants to borrow Wonderboy, he is going to have to play right field. And he’ll never get Kim Basinger the way he plays outfield…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey