Apr 7, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
During a radio interview today Phillies manager Charlie Manuel gave an update on Brad Lidge‘s health status, saying he’s “probably looking at maybe All-Star break or just before that” for the closer to return from a partially torn rotator cuff.
That’s considerably longer than the initial timetable given late last month, which had Lidge missing 3-6 weeks. However, according to Cash Kruth of MLB.com that 3-6 weeks likely represents the time Lidge will be shut down completely, at which point he could begin a throwing program and start making his way back from the injury.
Manuel tabbed Jose Contreras as the fill-in closer, bypassing Ryan Madson despite the fact that he’s consistently been the Phillies’ best reliever for the past four seasons because just about everyone involved with the team seems to believe he can’t handle ninth-inning duties. Contreras successfully converted his first save chance of the season yesterday.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)