Charlie Manuel on Brad Lidge’s return timetable: “All-Star break or just before that”

Apr 7, 2011, 11:46 AM EST

brad-lidge-and-charlie-manuel-phillies AP

During a radio interview today Phillies manager Charlie Manuel gave an update on Brad Lidge‘s health status, saying he’s “probably looking at maybe All-Star break or just before that” for the closer to return from a partially torn rotator cuff.

That’s considerably longer than the initial timetable given late last month, which had Lidge missing 3-6 weeks. However, according to Cash Kruth of MLB.com that 3-6 weeks likely represents the time Lidge will be shut down completely, at which point he could begin a throwing program and start making his way back from the injury.

Manuel tabbed Jose Contreras as the fill-in closer, bypassing Ryan Madson despite the fact that he’s consistently been the Phillies’ best reliever for the past four seasons because just about everyone involved with the team seems to believe he can’t handle ninth-inning duties. Contreras successfully converted his first save chance of the season yesterday.

1. BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Lidge isn’t pitching this year.

2. Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Was this quote run through a Cuck-to-English translationater? Where’s Craig’s version—or would he just take it out of context?

And as for Aaron’s “just about everyone involved with the team seems to believe he can’t handle ninth-inning duties” comment, all you have to do is look at his past performances when given that chance. I also think they’re right to try the MadDog-to-Contreras way first, since, if it works, we’re all happy and MadDog hasn’t altered his approach to his innings prep/work. Had MadDog been given the keys to lock down the house, and then repeated his previous performances, then you’d have to switch the order back again.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Oh crap…why, oh why is there no editing button on here? That should read “CHUCK-to-English translationater,” obviously.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Again, their faith in Lidge blinded them to a sore need…a closer. Wouldn’t Soriano look pretty good closing right now? I am confident he would have taken a back-loaded deal for a little less money(even with Bor-ass as his agent) to be handed the keys to this team’s closer role over setting up in the Bronx. I’m just hoping the big 4 average 7-8 innings a start and the “delusional” offense continues to average over 6 runs a game.

4. Jonny 5 - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I believe in Jose. And so will everyone else come the break. Thanks for the roller coaster ride Brad, it was fun.

5. bleedgreen - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Lidge is done. Thanks for 07, kill yourself for 08, and you were acceptable last year. I realize Charlie is loyal to his guys, but jeez. Enough is enough. He’s done.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Methinks your years are off a tad there, bleedgreen. “Kill yourself for 07″…ya know, when he was perfect and the Phightins snagged some trophy right before Halloween?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Great…and I misquote you—or took it out of context…or something. I got the issue right, just typo-ed the year.

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Heh, heh..Utley’s Hair’s delusional, ha!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I am most certainly not delusional. Neither am I. (Though another of us is a bit questionable… :/ )

Now, about these purple monkeys flying around my desk….

• bleedgreen - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I’m off a year, you’re right. That should be “Thanks for 08, kill yourself for 09, and you were acceptable in 2010.” I’m getting too old and don’t want to admit that its 2011 already :-\

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6023)