Lastings Milledge designated for assignment

Apr 7, 2011, 11:30 AM EST

Lastings Milledge AP

Lastings Milledge, who was at one time considered a top Mets prospect, has had quite an odyssey around baseball the past few years.  Ridiculed right out of the gate in Washington thanks to Manny Acta putting him in center field when he really wasn’t cut out for it, he struggled with the Nats and then was cut loose by the Pirates of all teams. It was rather surprising, therefore, to see him make the White Sox roster out of spring training.

But now that’s over too. He was designated for assignment today in order to make room for reliever Jeff Gray. Milledge had only four at bats this season.  DFAing him gives the Sox ten days in which to trade him, release him or send him down to the minors. I’m guessing that no one is all that interested in giving up a thing for Milledge, so one of the latter two options seems likely.

He turned 26 on Tuesday, so there’s not a lot of hope that Milledge will ever be an everyday player. But he could probably be a platoon guy, corner defensive replacement.  Or not.

1. BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM

The guy’s been cut by three of the worst teams in baseball (Mets, Nats, Pirates).
    “Welcome to Walmart. May I help you?” Get used to that, Lastings.

• genericcommenter - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I don’t know how he handles his money, but if I just turned 26 and had earnings of around $ 4 million I wouldn’t be worried about working at Walmart. Honestly, maybe I need to give the guy credit for even sticking with the game this far. I would’ve called it quits after the 2nd time- chilling out helping out some kids somewhere.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Maybe there is room on Isringhausen’s softball team…

3. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM

…but can he still rap?!

That went over really well the last time he tried it.

4. davebrownspiral - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Shocking. Another over-hyped New York (Yankees/Mets) prospect that became a bust in the majors.

• bigxrob - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM

He reminds me of Ricky Ledee

• xmatt0926x - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Ricky Ledee certainly was a bust considering the hype when he was young but he was in the majors for about 10 years and wasn’t ever the clown that Lastings Milledge was. Milledge was dead on arrival and never even showed a flash of talent.

• bigxrob - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I agree, I was only speaking of the hype surrounding him when he was in the minors

5. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

One more serving of Soylent Green coming right up….

6. akismet-e6748cca3a16ea6e8283008d25583adc - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

For all those pundits who killed the Nats for dumping him in 2009 to the Pirates, how’s that trade looking now? http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=460

7. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I get the feeling some people are really miserable and their life sucks so they feel
    other people should have a life that sucks too.This is a pathetic way to live your
    life, me I enjoy my life without all the ridiculous hating going on.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester