Manny Ramirez doesn’t feel the need to impress you

Apr 7, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Ramirez_Manny

Manny Ramirez was asked if his early season struggles were the result of him pressing in an effort to make a good impression. Manny hasn’t hit much these days, but he smacked that one out of the park:

“I don’t need to impress nobody. I’ve got almost 600 home runs.”

Truth.  Maybe not as to how Rays fans actually feel — they’d probably like to be a bit more impressed right now — but on the notion that Manny is not, by damn sight, the kind of guy who feels he needs to prove anything to anyone.  I mean, no one has yet found the Rosetta Stone for Manny Ramirez-motivation, but we can be pretty sure that it’s not about what other people think.

For what it’s worth, I’m one of those people who thinks/thought that Manny will/would have a big year in Tampa. Because, rather than the wacky lazy caricature he is considered by many, I think he has a twisted sort of inner motivation. How could he not given what he’s accomplished? Lots of guys with his raw talent have done way, way less.

One day, after he’s dead, someone is going to cut him open and find some alien/super hero DNA and realize that he was motivated by something akin to saving the Bottled City of Kandor or something.  Until then: mystery.

1. bobwsc - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM

can’t wait for the weird giggling and awkward man-hugs when he, Ortiz and Damon rekindle old times before the first Sox/Rays series. yay…

2. AK47 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Baseball, like most jobs in life, is about “what have you done for me lately.” Great Manny, you’ve got almost 600 HRs…good for you, the fans in Tampa want to see you hit a few for them. He could have been more graceful in his response, instead of being cocky about it.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Why does he have to do what you say, if you know so much why is Manny hitting those 600
      homers and you have zero.

3. levistahl - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Is that what Superman was doing in this issue, trying to save Kandor . . . through baseball?

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM

No, but I feel safe in saying that Bugs Bunny must have had Kandor in the back of his mind. No one but a Kryptonian could have played that game for keeps the way he did.

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Damn, hit “send” too soon again…

But more to the point, Craig, what is it about Manny that appeals to you – has candor, or his Kandor?

Ooooohahahah HEEEEEEhohohohohahahahanyuknyuknyuk…..

4. preseasonchamps08 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I wonder how many of those almost 600 homers Manny would’ve had without the help of his good buddy: Mr. Steroid. I’m betting considerably fewer. Manny Ramirez epitomizes everything wrong with professional sports.

5. gonyanks21 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM

You watch, Manny will hit .500 against the Yanks and Sox this year and .250 against everyone else. The Rays should plant guys in Red Sox and Yankees jerseys at every game, regardless of who they are playing.

6. pisano - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I knew it wouldn’t take long for this scumbag to show himself. This is just the start, my feeling is he won’t last the season with the Rays. That manager won’t kiss Manny’s a$$ like some have in the past. Look for a trade before the end of the season.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I don’t think the Rays gave him $2MM for hitting home runs in 2006. If he isn’t sure, he should call Pat Burrell and ask how long the leash will be…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM

If you’re using Pat the Bat as a standard, the answer would be “shorter, duh.”

8. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM

“Lots of guys with his raw talent have done way, way less.”

I’d love to get some examples of this. From what I have always read about the guy, people have always said that he has the sweetest swing from the right side of the plate that they’ve ever seen. And considering his last couple years, I doubt he is going to get to 600 HRs…right now he has 555. So he really should relax with even mentioning the number 600. I love Man-Ram. But when he watched 3 Rivera pitches for strikes without even moving his bat a few years back, I lost all respect for the guy.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM

So, are you saying he’s delusional to say he’s got almost 600?

9. feartherallythong - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM

C’mon, give Manny a break – it was probably just a really big rounding error…

10. Glenn - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Great post, Craig. I have been trying to figure out Manny’s motivation since the Sox got him and am still at a loss. “Alien Autopsy” may be the answer.

11. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Manny is the man, I love when he Cadillacs and the pitcher just watches
    like his bitch, too afraid to throw at him.In his prime Manny was a professional
    hitter, who put fear in the pitchers heart.He can’t play the field but he can hit
    like a son of bitch.

I love watching the play when Manny playing Left cut off Damon’s throw from center.
    That was wicked…………..

12. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I love reading the posts, some of you people have real issues.I just watch the game
    and when it is over that’s it,you people get to wrapped up in extra shit! Get a life already,
    it’s baseball and he is a player and then he goes home, he doesn’t care what you think.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS