Miguel Cabrera hits 250th career homer before 28th birthday

Apr 7, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v New York Yankees Getty Images

Last night Miguel Cabrera smacked his 250th career homer, which is remarkable considering he won’t be 28 years old for another two weeks.a

Cabrera’s birthday is April 18, which means this is officially his “age-28 season.” Here are the all-time leaders in homers through age 28:

Alex Rodriguez 381
Ken Griffey Jr. 350
Jimmie Foxx. 343
Eddie Mathews 338
Mickey Mantle 320
Albert Pujols 319
Mel Ott 306
Andruw Jones 301
Juan Gonzalez 301
Hank Aaron 298

Cabrera doesn’t crack the top 10, but he is tied for 17th with Willie Mays and still has another 157 games to add to his through-age-28 total. He’s averaged 36 homers per season since joining the Tigers, so assuming he ends up with a total of 36 this year Cabrera will finish his age-28 season with 288, which would rank 12th all time sandwiched between Frank Robinson (291) and Adam Dunn (278).

1. Vincent - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

neat.

2. Vincent - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Barry Bonds had 176… in case anyone was wondering.

3. Gobias Industries - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Well I’ll drink to that.

4. BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Hmm. Would have thought Mantle had more. He was like 20 when he came up, and then was basically shot by age 34…..

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Read carefully, BC, Mantle had 320 for fifth on the list, and had 536 by the time he retired at 37.
      Anyway, Tigers could use a couple more like Miggy to bat before and after him.

• BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM

No, I was saying that I was surprised Mantle wasn’t closer to A-Rod territory. I looked up his stats, I think he came up a year or two earlier than I thought, so his monster 1961 season was post-age-28.

5. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Incidentally, Miggy still don’t got his license to kill back. His driver’s license hearing, scheduled yesterday, was postponed for a few days.

Just to clarify the Florida license regs in a DUI suspension, courtesy of an article in this morning’s Macondo Lampoon: Miggy’s license went >pfffffttt the moment he declined to take a field sobriety test. The hearing scheduled for yesterday was for his motion to re-instate it. According to a lawyer pal of mine, he has about as much chance of that happening with a criminal DUI and resisting arrest trial coming up as Atlantis does of receiving Confederate aid in its plans to rise again.

6. bigdogpappad - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Hey Old Gator – are you drinking early today? Atlantis is the legendary island first mentioned in Plato’s dialogues Timaeus and Critias and certainly not in need of Confederate aid to “rise again” but I applaud your effort to locate the sunken island LOL!

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Ackcherley, someone already did the heavy lifting….

…and remarkably enough, they found Anastasia’s coffin down there too. An unidentified body skwashed in an almost perfectly square crushed car may be Jimmy Hoffa. And nearby, in the wreckage of a 1937 custom Lockheed Electra Model 10E, which has yet to be explored, there appears to be the remains of a woman.

What I drink, early and often, is a chocolate banana acai berry peanut butter smoothie with protein powder and a stripping shovel bucketful of Metamucil. I don’t think this can be blamed for my delusions, though – that’s probably due to the ergot mold on my organic sprouted wheat Passover matzoh. I get these every year.

And by the way, since you’re apparently into Plato (I used to make little phalluses out of the stuff when I was a kid, after the ones in daddy’s Hustlers – and be amazed at how they would harden if left out overnight), I referenced the Symposium in a recent post on this very blog, albeit only in the context of Bertrand Tavernier:

And of course there’s Derrida on “Plato’s Pharmacy,” where any discussion of the semantic gulf between pharmakos and pharmakon might apply to Miguel Cabrera’s current status as baseball’s answer to Charlie Sheen…but some other time.

7. feartherallythong - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

“…he has about as much chance of that happening with a criminal DUI and resisting arrest trial coming up as Atlantis does of receiving Confederate aid in its plans to rise again.”

Old Gator, my compliments – after trying to parse that metaphor, I needed to take 600 mg of Ibuprofen…

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3744)