Quote of the Day: Dustin Pedroia

Apr 7, 2011, 4:00 PM EST

Dustin Pedroia AP

The Red Sox’ 0-6 homecoming to face the Yankees is going to dominate the discourse in the salons of baseball for the next 24 hours, and I predict that the amount of fretting will be more or less balanced out by the Don’t Panic Chorus. Dustin Pedroia, however, wants to make it clear to you, Red Sox fans, that you need to drop your worries at the door:

“You’re either two feet in now or you’re two feet out. Let us know now because we’re coming.”

That quote is going to play so much better with a win over the Yankees tomorrow than it will if they go to 0-7.

1. j0esixpack - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

As a Sox fan, I’ll be the first to admit that the goose egg is pretty embarrassing.

Beyond that, I’ve been through enough seasons to know it’s pointless to worry about records and playoff spots in April, regardless of one’s record.

• baseballisboring - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM

agreed. 7 thumbs down wtf? see ya in the playoffs

2. isdtyrant - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“We started out 0-6, but then what happened? *bam* Laser Show”

Or something to that effect.

3. shaggylocks - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I think Sox fans should be really, really worried right now. I mean we’re talking about the RED SOX here! The Red Sox! And we all know the Red Sox have never ever dug themselves out of a hole to win in a dramatic fashion. They’re doomed!

4. jobooo - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Tomorrow’s headline in Boston: Pedroia Puts Two Feet in Mouth

5. addictedzone - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM

A much better Dustin quote from today…

“We’re going to go home and my wife’s going to look at me and say, ‘You’re 0-6. You guys stink.’ “

6. riverace19 - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Since when do the Sox have to be good to be a fan? I’ve been a fan since Jim Rice and Fred Lynn and there were years, no, make that decades where they weren’t very good.
    Expectations high? Yup, but you still have to win the games on the field.

• tribester - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I’ve been wondering this too.

The narrative of ‘panicking’ bothers me too. Panicking fans isn’t going to do anything. Maybe it’s just because I know the Tribe is lousy most of the time and I love them anyway that I think dashed post-season hopes are a bummer or dismaying or maybe even tragic, if you want to push it, but they aren’t panic-worthy.

7. oldpaddy - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM

What the hell does that meen?

You can’t win it in April, but you can lose it. ’96 comes to mind.

8. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

At 0-7, two feet in will translate to six feet under in the morning editions. Then you ask Theo Epstein if he would have made some different trades last winter and get the Spencer Tracy curtain line from The Last Hurrah: “The hell I would.”

9. mightymike1250 - Apr 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

As a long time Yankees fan (over 50 years), I can promise you that no one in the Bronx is buying the Sox’ 0-6 start — nor are any of the Yankees’ fans (at least, those with a reasonable amount of intelligence). The Sox are just too talented and too well managed to stay down. Last year, they had a remarkable year when you consider all the injuries they had. I think Terry Francona should have been Manager of the Year. I compare the 0-6 Red Sox to the first rattlesnake of Spring: Not making much noise right now, but still very dangerous.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3260)
  2. J. Kang (3104)
  3. C. McGehee (2815)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2798)
  5. J. Upton (2790)