Apr 7, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Harden is still a simulated game followed by a minor-league rehab assignment from potentially coming off the disabled list, and given his extensive injury history counting on him to avoid further setbacks is obviously wishful thinking.
A’s manager Bob Geren indicated to Jane Lee of MLB.com that the team is in no rush to get Harden back and also hinted that they may view him as a reliever at this point despite signing him to compete for a rotation spot.
Harden no doubt wants another chance to start, but his best chance to make an impact and stay off the DL for more than a few weeks at a time is probably in the bullpen anyway.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (108)