Apr 7, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Harden is still a simulated game followed by a minor-league rehab assignment from potentially coming off the disabled list, and given his extensive injury history counting on him to avoid further setbacks is obviously wishful thinking.
A’s manager Bob Geren indicated to Jane Lee of MLB.com that the team is in no rush to get Harden back and also hinted that they may view him as a reliever at this point despite signing him to compete for a rotation spot.
Harden no doubt wants another chance to start, but his best chance to make an impact and stay off the DL for more than a few weeks at a time is probably in the bullpen anyway.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4