Rob Dibble still thinks Stephen Strasburg should have “sucked it up”

Apr 7, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

rob dibble announcing

Last year Rob Dibble got canned from MASN after he said that Stephen Strasburg should have “sucked it up” and pitched despite having an elbow injury that went on to require Tommy John surgery. After he said it — but before he got fired — he apologized and said that his comments were “inappropriate and disrespectful.”  Based on an interview he gave yesterday, however, he didn’t actually believe that:

“And it had nothing to do with the game he got hurt in Philly. He had a sold-out game against the Braves, and the people I worked with at MASN were excellent, we followed his workout regimen — which was fantastic. His warm-up was fantastic. He didn’t do any of that the day that he basically walked away from that Braves start, which was sold-out. And all the money that the Nationals were making per start on Strasburg was well over seven figures. So to me, you know what kid, you’ve got to suck it up.”

Bonus: he says he didn’t get fired because he’s still getting paid by MASN (note to Dibble: just because your contract got bought out doesn’t mean you weren’t fired) and he says that the real reason he got, um, not-fired was because Stephen Strasburg’s dad sent an email to the Lerners after Dibble’s comments.

One wonders if Dibble should just be quiet about all of this. Because if he persists, someone with the Nationals is going to feel obligated to go on record with the truth: that the Strasburg stuff was merely the final straw and that Dibble’s comical incompetence as a color man would have gotten him not-fired eventually.

1. cshearing - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Joke of a pitcher became a joke of a broadcaster. Not surprising.

• bigdicktater - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Joke of a pitcher? I’m not defending Dibble, but I doubt you would have stayed in the batter’s box with him throwing heat.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

He was my first douchenozzle last year and he’s gaining traction on becoming one of my 2011 douchenozzles. I’ll let him be for now, only b/c my qualifications are more strict this year.

3. kmgannon - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Thank god Dibble is off of the Nats’ broadcasts. I actually like the team and want to follow them, but couldn’t bear to listen to Dibble. He made me dumber every time I heard him grunt another ex-jock cliche. Now I can return to MASN broadcasts without the fear of becoming an imbecile by the all-star break.

4. Gobias Industries - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Craig, you’re taking Dibble’s comments out of context and you owe Phillies fans everywhere an apology.

Oh, wait…what are we talking about now?

5. BC - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Complete chipwich. In Murray Chass territory.
    So he’s been booted from the World Wide Leader, and been booted from one of the biggest regional cable networks in the country.
    How about trying Walmart, Rob?

• spudchukar - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

He would botch the greeting.

• hep3 - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Wasn’t he fired from Fox on the (their words, not mine) “The Best Damn Sports Show” with Rosanne’s ex-husband, Tom Arnold?

Whew, a lot of things wrong with this whole thing.

6. spudchukar - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM

You think you have it bad, just imagine Bob Carpenter’s.

7. stackers1 - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I like the look on Carpenters face in the picture. He looks like he’s thinking, “did he just say that?”

8. umrguy42 - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Hmm… not sure which sounds better: “Dibble’s drabble”, or “Dibble’s drivel”. You decide!

• mgflolox - Apr 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Dibble dabbles in drivel?

9. Walk - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Rob Dibble followed his own advice and sucked it up as a broadcaster.

10. bigleagues - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think ol’ Dibs believes he is a ‘brand’ or ‘niche’ of sportscasting that reflects the image he and his bullpen mates had back in the day.

That brand I refer to is representing an ‘irreverent’ persona on camera and behind the microphone. Only problem is – Dibs ain’t bright enough to be irreverent (and I’d love to see him spell that word too) and have the irreverence as a flavor of the substance of the words he says – as opposed to being irreverent for the sake of being irreverent. Kind of like the Nasty Boys.

By the way, Dibs best learn how to spell irreverent so he doesn’t confuse it with a similar one that he is fast becoming . . . irrelevant.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4746)
  2. M. Kemp (3761)
  3. M. Cabrera (2941)
  4. J. Kang (2866)
  5. J. Upton (2671)
  1. M. Morse (2637)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2359)
  3. A. Rios (2310)