Apr 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
He’s a natural for the project, wouldn’t you agree?
He starred in one of the most famous fictional baseball movies of all time. Now Robert Redford looks to play one of the most famous real-life baseball figures of all time. The “Natural” star is on board to play Branch Rickey in a long-gestating, recently jump-started version of a historical drama involving the Brooklyn Dodgers executive and Jackie Robinson, the black player he famously signed.
Of course, if Redford takes the kind of liberties with the Branch Rickey story that he took with the source material for the “The Natural,” the flick will end with Rickey, after his move to the Pirates front office, trading for Robinson before the 1954 season and, rather than losing 101 games that year, they go on to beat the Indians in the World Series, knocking out racism — in the form of a grinning Chief Wahoo — a second time.
OK, I’d probably pay to see that movie actually.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4