The Dodgers are reviewing their security procedures

Apr 7, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT

Giants Fan Attacked AP

In the wake of the brutal beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day, the Dodgers have hired former Los Angeles police chief William Bratton — who is now a private security consultant — to assess the team’s security policies.

If this increases security at Dodgers games, great. But since the attack on Stow, more and more people — including one Los Angeles country official who said  in this report that going to games at Dodger Stadium has “become very, very scary” — have been coming out of the woodwork to talk about how everyone has known that the security situation at Dodgers Stadium has been a mess for years, with fights routinely happening in the stands and parking lots. I was unsure about it myself and asked readers to weigh in earlier this week, and the response from those who go to Dodger Stadium with some degree of frequency was that, yeah, it has been a mess for a while.

Stow is still in a coma. He had a part of his skull removed to reduce swelling. He likely has brain damage.  It’s a shame that it took this, given what people seem to have known for a while about the environment at Dodgers games, for the team to review its security.

1. marshmallowsnake - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

What could be scary about going to a game in LA? It is not like there are gang members there or anything!

In all seriousness…I have a friend here in Phoenix that is a Dodger fan…and when we go to Dodger games at Chase, I am scared. There are some highly tatted and rough looking folk that make it out to those games…now, that is a road game…I can only imagine a home game.

I am going to Anaheim in a few weeks to watch the Sox play the Angels…dare I wear my Red Sox uni?

• rangerfan - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM

We, unfortunately, had visitor side dugout seats when the Dodgers came into town to play the Rangers a couple of years back. I took my wife, and my one year old daughter. I’ve never had any sense of fear while being at a ball game in my life, but this particular time was scary. I’m assuming the Dodgers are all the Mexican’s adopted team or something? It was really enjoyable seeing all the blue bandanas covering faces, jeans pulled down to their knees, sh*t talking galore. We left around the 6th, just to avoid any of the thuggish-ness that was going to be thrown down after the game.

God forbid the Rangers make it back to the Series this year, and have to play the Dodgers somehow.

• monsieurbear - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Does your uniform include a cup? Seriously, the Angels have competent management, so you should be fine at the Big A.

• Brian Murphy - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Even with the Red Sox struggling, the crowd will be a 60-40 split between Angels and Red Sox fans. Wear your uni; you won’t be alone.

And there is a BIG difference between Angels and Dodgers fans. It’s more family-oriented in Anaheim. The Rally Monkey isn’t very gangsta.

2. bigdicktater - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I would recommend concealed carry as a solution to the gangsta problem. When only the criminals and the creeps are armed, this kind of stuff is gonna happen.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3324)