Apr 7, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
In the wake of the brutal beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day, the Dodgers have hired former Los Angeles police chief William Bratton — who is now a private security consultant — to assess the team’s security policies.
If this increases security at Dodgers games, great. But since the attack on Stow, more and more people — including one Los Angeles country official who said in this report that going to games at Dodger Stadium has “become very, very scary” — have been coming out of the woodwork to talk about how everyone has known that the security situation at Dodgers Stadium has been a mess for years, with fights routinely happening in the stands and parking lots. I was unsure about it myself and asked readers to weigh in earlier this week, and the response from those who go to Dodger Stadium with some degree of frequency was that, yeah, it has been a mess for a while.
Stow is still in a coma. He had a part of his skull removed to reduce swelling. He likely has brain damage. It’s a shame that it took this, given what people seem to have known for a while about the environment at Dodgers games, for the team to review its security.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)