The Jays are open to playing a game in Montreal

Apr 7, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Olympic Stadium

Nothing is ever going to touch hockey in Canada or even come within sight of it, but it does seem like the Blue Jays, by virtue of being Canada’s only baseball team, have a pretty good opportunity to grow the fan base. To date they’ve made some tentative inroads into Quebec via TV and radio broadcasts, but they’re at least open to something a bit more grand:

Toronto Blue Jays president Paul Beeston says he’s open to the idea of realizing the dreams of some Quebec fans and bringing his team to Montreal’s Olympic Stadium for a visit. “Certainly we would like to play a game in Montreal or in Quebec at some point in time,” Beeston told The Canadian Press. “I think it would be a terrific idea.”

Sounds rather hypothetical as opposed to something they’re actually considering, but it would be a cool idea. Baseball in Montreal didn’t die a natural death. It was murdered. I’d love to see it get another chance, even if it’s only temporary.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Worst. Park. Ever. (but, I’d go for nostalgia’s sake)

2. Joe - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

What he said ^^^

3. Jonah - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Sad Jonah is sad.

• pestiesti - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Darn it. I was coming to make a Jonah Keri joke and you beat me to it. Canadian self-deprecation screwing it up for the rest of us.

4. cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I’d go see that. I miss the Expos like I miss my dog Oilcan. They both died the same year.

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Was Oilcan the “cur” in cur68? Time mebbe to replace him with a beaver?

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Yeah, Oily was the original. He loved the Expos. You could make him howl by saying “Alou” really long and slow. But all my dogs have been mutts, except my Border Collie (my brother got one and she turned out to be pregnant so we wound up with a purebred pup). I am also a mutt. I believe the term Tiger Woods uses is “multi ethnic”. I’m a little less formal; plain old mongrel. As such the ‘cur’ is a redaction of my actual first name and a pretty close description of what you’re all dealing with. Not too sophisticated, maybe a bit inclined to eat poorly, a definite tendency to sh!t disturb, not much in the looks department but loyal, easily amused and, of course, fond of the beaver. I’d need to visit the sex reassignment clinic before I considered “beaver68″.

5. atribecalledtwolves - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM

A few question for our Canadian friends here, what exactly is the Blue Jay support for the Blue Jay’s outside of Ontario? This is a question that always comes to my mind that I’ve never asked. Moreover, what is the general interest of baseball throughout Canada at the moment?

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

At my house: ti’s just me and the dog. In Alberta; it’s pretty good when our hockey teams are already eliminated from the playoffs (which they are now). Out west in general; I don’t know but 10 years ago when I lived in Vancouver it was de rigueur to head for Seattle with a bunch of friends for Mariners games especially when the Jays were visiting them.

6. gatherspeed - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I like it. Montreal was a great baseball town (in the 70s and 80s) and it took a big hit in 1994 and when it started to slowly come back (2003), MLB squashed it like a bug with no September call-ups and cost the Expos a chance at the wildcard.

I surprised there is not at least a AAA team there. (is there a viable stadium?)

A couple of years ago the Rays played some games in Orlando. The Blue Jays should consider the same.

7. xmatt0926x - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Montreal was a great organization way back when and they drew crowds. Younger people assume that they were just another Tampa Rays where there just wasn’t ever much interest, but thats not the case. 1994 was their year and they easily had the best team in baseball before the season was cut short. Who knows what would have happened there if they went on to win the world series that year.

8. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Macondo feels for Montreal, being that we are both cursed with Scrooge McLoria (he may be gone, mes aimes, but his stench pongs onward like Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner’s torso and you will probably still find him indexed in Dominique Laporte’s Histoire du merde). We also share the oddity of large population segments who speak some unintelligible variation on the Dauphin’s French. So there’s lots in common here. Given the sizable Franco-Canadian winter population of Hollywood, Florida, it’s a surprise that we don’t see more ash-stained countenances coming out to stand in the parking lot and boo Scrooge when he pulls in for…eh…work(?) this time of year.

9. b7p19 - Apr 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM

The home of Tony Gwynns 3,000th hit!! Still have that sucker on VHS. (That means TiVo to all you kids out there)

Three legends off to Cooperstown