The Red Sox aren’t the only 0-6 team

Apr 7, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT

Sam Fuld

The Red Sox are not the only 0-6 team out there. They’re not the only one in the division, either. And they’re not even the 0-6 team with the worst chances of a turnaround. Ladies and gentlemen: the Tampa Bay Rays.

Tampa Bay dropped its sixth straight game today, losing 5-1 to the White Sox in Chicago’s home opener. The loss came at the hands of an old teammate and nemesis, Edwin Jackson.  Jackson pitched for the Rays from 2006 to 2008, and he threw a no-hitter against them while pitching for the Diamondbacks last year. Today he was on fire, striking out 13 Rays in eight innings. He’s always had the capability to uncork games like that. Electric stuff when he can control it.

The Rays haven’t even held a lead this year. In their six games they have scored 1, 1, 1, 3, 1 and 1 runs.  Their best player is out for three weeks. It’s bad news. Far worse than anything the Red Sox are facing, with far less talent in reserve to expect an extraordinary turnaround in the short term.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM

So what you’re saying is, everyone’s doomed and it’ll be awful for everyone on this earth.

2. benyamen - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Hooray! (says the unrepentant Red Sox fan)

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Let’s go, Yankees! How many pundits picked them for 3rd place this year?

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Those pesty Rays. How many shutouts will we blow with that one-run a game plan of theirs?

• cktai - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

But the Yankees are 3rd.

• Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM

If you mean how many pundits picked the Yankees for 3rd, I’d say… two? Maybe?

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:05 PM

me

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

i think youre forgetting the season just started and its a long season bud, theres still a legitimate chance of the yanks finishing 3rd

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM

nah…. come on… Yanks/Sox are 1-2 by end of season…

4. Brian Murphy - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM

When was the last time a division winner scored less than two runs in five of its first six games the following season?

Hell, when was the last time any team scored eight or fewer total runs in its first six games of a season? Get Gleeman on it!

5. indaburg - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM

My only consolation as a Rays fan is seeing the Red Sox with their bloated payroll in the cellar with us.

6. whoskiddingwhom - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM

“The Red Sox are not the only 0-6 team out there.” No, but they’re the only one that’s gonna win 100 games. Go Sox!! :)

• fanoredsox - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Exactly! Most teams go through a losing streak during the season, we are just getting it out of the way now. They had better hire any body that can play catcher because Salty F-ING sucks! Wait there was something else I was going to type but I can’t remember what it was. It actually was pertinent and important………. OH YEAH THE “SKANKIES F-ING SUCK”! That was it. :-)

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM

yea… so you are whats wrong with baseball.. you arent a baseball fan, right? i mean your just some moron who in 2004 around end of October all of a sudden started rooting for the Sox, right? IF you were a real fan you would know that you should, at the very least, wait for your gddamn team to win a game or 2 before you start ripping on the competition. have fun in the Cellar.

Sorry Ari…..

• fanoredsox - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Actually I am ten years old! I really have never played baseball and don’t understand the rules. All I know is that my Dad is yelling at me because I didn’t tell you to f@#k yourself before I slept with your wife! Go SAUWX! If you want to know if I really am a SOX fan, you would understand that I lived in Manhattan on Sept.11th and was 10 blocks away from a major tragedy. For the one and only time in my life I rooted for the Skankies to win because I felt sooo much pain for the city and it’s residents, but true to form, if you are true Sox fan anything you root for loses!That’s why I rooted for both the Cardinals and the Rockies!

• fanoredsox - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I thought it was funny, but I really did live in NYC at the time and actually wanted the Yanks to win because the city had been through sooo much. I just never saw GONZO actually showing up when he did. My statement was meant as a joke and I hope I didn’t offend anyone. You’re a good sport PHUKYOUK. :-)

7. aaronmoreno - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Is it too soon to declare losing baseball games as the new market inefficiency?

• Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Haha, nice.

• fanoredsox - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Yes it is. The starting date for that is on Monday.

8. Old Gator - Apr 8, 2011 at 9:03 AM

The Razed will be fine. I predict that they will win a game by September, and that one of Johnny Damon’s pegs will actually reach the infield – and he will need rotator cuff surgery for having thrown it hard enough to do so.

9. BC - Apr 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM

The Rays have less of a chance of scoring than I do at this point.

10. raysfan1 - Apr 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM

There is another difference between us Rays fans and the Sox fan–we knew before the spring training that this was a year we’d likely take a step back. The payroll was cut and the new faces just aren’t as good as some of what we lost, especially Crawford. Just hoping that they do start swining the bat, that Longoria gets back quickly, and that the owners don’t go into sell mode at midseason (unless it’s the rent-a-players that they sell).

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate