The Red Sox lose again, head back to Boston 0-6

Apr 7, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT

McDonald bag.bmp

I’ve been getting annoyed at all of the “no team who has ever started 0 and whatever has ever made the playoffs” stuff, but I suppose at some point those numbers are going to become relevant. And we’re a day closer to that, because Boston lost again this afternoon, and they did it in frustrating fashion. At least at the end.

There were two outs in the ninth, with the Sox down 1-0.  David Ortiz walked, and Darnell McDonald pinch-ran for him. J.D. Drew hit a grounder up the middle that ricocheted off Chris Perez‘s foot and bounced to the third baseman Adam Everett. McDonald would have been safe at second by a mile had he stopped, but he overran the bag, slipped, and then couldn’t get up as he tried to crawl back. Everett threw to second baseman Orlando Cabrera who tagged McDonald out to end the game.  MLB.com doesn’t have the highlight up yet, but here’s a handy animated gif of the play. The fact that it repeats over and over will make Red Sox fans enjoy it all the more.

Before all of that we had a pitchers’ duel and some small-ball supreme. Jon Lester and Fausto Carmona were both on point, each shutting out the other side over seven innings on a cold windy day, Lester doing so with nine Ks. In the bottom of the eighth the Indians manufactured a run with a walk, a steal, a sacrifice and then a squeeze play, with Adam Everett doing the walking, stealing and running and Asdrubal Cabrera laying down the squeeze bunt. And he may have had his foot out of the batter’s box when he bunted and should have been out, but that’s fairly academic now.

The Sox have a quiet plane ride back to Boston this afternoon and then a series against the Yankees that — dare I say it on April 7th? — is a must-win.

1. Vincent - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM

How sweet it is.

2. jkay123 - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I know it’s early, veryyyyyyyyyyyy early, but red sox fans commented and made jokes when the yankees signed russell martin. Crawford, gonzalez etc were more than enough. At the end of the season it might turn out to be a huge signing that the yanks got him and not the sox. If they are going to be dominant, they need lester and clay to be aces, Lester was one today, if not, they are in trouble. They have no SS, RF isnt too clear, an aging DH, although he’ll put up a fine season and have NO catcher. Like i said, it’s early but everyone was so quick to crown them, when just like other teams, they have holes.

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM

i was pulling for the red sox to sign martin, salty is and always has been useless. he was out of the league for a while because he forgot how to throw the ball back to the catcher for christs sake! that is a hole that most definitely needs to be fixed

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM

throw the ball back to the pitcher*

3. Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

It sucks, and it’s painful to watch, but!:

They’re only 3.5 games back (assuming the Orioles and Blue Jays aren’t for real), that’s not an insurmountable deficit at this point in the season, and it’s all been on the road.

Obviously you can’t wholly write off a 6-game losing streak, but it seems worse than it is because it’s the first six of the season.

• Vincent - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Regardless of what part of the season you’re in, two consecutive sweeps is pretty bad.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

And “what team has swept you” is a statement as well. But not one to get people rightfully concerned. These games count and all, but not nearly as much as they do at the other end of the season. If Bahhhhstan gets whooped on by NYY next, then I’d start fretting if I were a RS or their fans.

• spindervish - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Actually, 1 game in April counts exactly as much as 1 game in August or September. I know math is really complicated, but generally speaking, 1=1.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Not really, since you have a lot more games in the interim that you can make up, so this is one case where one does not exactly equal one.

• spindervish - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM

You are incorrect, and that meme is stupid and frustratingly widespread.

That is all.

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM

if you children are going to argue semantics, yes one game in april counts for the same as one game in september, but a 6 game losing streak is a lot easier to brush off in april than it is in september

• spindervish - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Look up the definition of semantics, then reconsider your attempt to throw stones.

4. Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Not only should Asdrubal have been called out, but there was a crucial miscall earlier in the game on a play at second that, had it been called correctly (as many replays showed), would have resulted in a bases loaded one out situation for the Sox.

As you say, though, academic at this point.

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

im not going to lie… part of me REALLY wanted the Sox to win today so that their first win does not come against the Yanks.

• Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Interesting perspective!

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Listen man… i hope they go 0-162… but i’m also not an idiot and realize that they will start winning soon. I just dont want it to be against the Yanks which, if the baseball gods have any sense of humor at all, will happen this weekend.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Wins vs NY mean nothing…they had 8 in a row a while back and lost the division.

5. jkay123 - Apr 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

and you lost to cleveland, but yeah, youre right, theyll be fine, and I think theyll end up trading for reyes, theyll have to give up a lot, but i can see that happening. Then they will have to resign reyes and their payroll will be around 230mm..Signing crawford didnt make them the champs, he isnt a 30-30 guy, hell get 15 homers and swipe a lot of bags, hit a nice 290. Vmart and Beltre who had an MVP season last yr were big losses. 3-5 in your staff, much like the yanks isnt too hot though.

• Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

If they had Reyes next year, their payroll would probably still “only” be up to about $175M.

6. lanflfan - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

The season is barely a week old, only casual and bandwagon fans are panicking right now. Not a Boston fan, but really, it’s April 7. Way too early to get any kind of read on a team.

7. riverace19 - Apr 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Jed Lowrie is the SS of the Sox future; forget any Reyes ideas. He makes more sense in the Bronx.
    I can’t imagine Dice-K lasting more than 4-6 weeks as a starter, as he has had a long leash which is about to get really short. Pitching will determine their season as that lineup WILL hit, it’s only a matter of time. The AL East is probably the strongest it’s been in a long time, and nothing is going to be easy for anyone in that division.

• derpdederpdederp - Apr 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM

agreed. lowrie needs to take over for scutaro ASAP

8. spindervish - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Here’s the thing – this pitching staff might just be straight awful. I was hoping for some level of rebound from Beckett and Lackey, but I’ve always thought Lackey kind of sucked, and his time with the Sox has done little to change my opinion. His nice numbers with LA might have been a function of a pitcher’s park and, more broadly, a pitcher’s division. And Beckett basically looks done.

I have no faith in Jenks, and Wheeler is the definition of average. Last year was just a career year. Pap’s regression is well-documented, and now Bard is letting me down. I never want to see Wake pitch another inning, ever. He’s had a fine career, but he was terrible last year and he’s only a year older now. It’s BP with this guy.

On top of all that, Lester and Buchholz are awesome, but not quite as awesome as most people seem to think. Well, maybe Lester is. I’m unsure exactly how high I am on him.

In short: I am concerned.

9. uyf1950 - Apr 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I’m going to refrain from making any comments pro or con. Because as the saying goes there but for the grace of god, etc…

I do have one question though. Anyone else but me notice “beantownsports247″ is missing in action here since the Red Sox streak? The self anointed all knowing fan on everything from the Red Sox to what players expectations are during spring training to pitching rotations to the Yankees and everything in between. I guess he’s having a tough time accepting that little dose of humility he’s been dealt by the Sox first 6 games. I guess he’s yet to learn “what goes around comes around”. That’s just my opinion.

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Welcome back buddy. Have not heard from since the season has started.

• uyf1950 - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Occasionally I get tired of all the negative posts and blogs about the Yankees. I’ve been here reading the comments during the past week and posting on 1 or 2 of the topics. Also, I’m kind annoyed that if the Yankees has started 0-4, 0-5 or 0-6 there would have been a half dozen blogs reporting on the Yankees demise. But let it happen to any other team and it’s like back page news. I definitely sense a double standard on occasion not only here but on all the sports blogs. Not being as visible you could say is my way of going on strike.
        Anyway, thank you for the welcome back. It’s nice to be appreciated or at least missed..

• Ari Collins - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM

uyf, you have to your head pretty far in the sand to think the Red Sox 6-game losing streak isn’t getting that much attention.

And I likewise had noticed your absence!

• uyf1950 - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Ari – you may be right but a quick check of the 60 most recent HBT blog topics here I can find only 3 that anyone can consider referencing the Sox record to any degree. One of those is talking about Salty as a scapegoat and the other 2 just appeared this afternoon after the Sox 6th loss. There are probably just as many Yankee topics for example train wars or something like that and Soriano ditching the media and Swisher slide. Now I certainly can’t speak for anyone else but in my book that seems disproportionate in relative importance. I won’t go near the relative lack of coverage about the Rays and their losing streak and total lack of offense. Don’t get me wrong there are topics on the subjects here, but in my opinion it’s getting nowhere near the coverage the Yankees would get if they were in the same boat. That’s all I’m saying. Again, I’m speaking just for myself.

• Ari Collins - Apr 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Well, HBT isn’t prone to writing sensationalistic panic stories. The mainstream media is talking about nothing but. Especially today, with Sox/Yankees coming up, but even before that, all this week, the national media has made it their main baseball story.

10. marshmallowsnake - Apr 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I am a sox fan, and they look horrible…however, they will pick it up. There is too much talent on that team for them not to win 90 plus games…

• phukyouk - Apr 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I cannot imagine that any real baseball fan is all that worried… Lester proved today that last week was probably a fluke and that offense will pick it up. as stated earlier nothing would make me happier than to see the Sox be under 10 wins by end if April but i think thats just hopeful wishing. all i really care about now is that they Yanks take 2 out of 3. Lackey is overrated but Hughes worries me a bit so tomorrows game is a toss up. i think that the Bucholtz-Nova game will come down to defense and CC will beat Beckett.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The offense better get their act together…not many teams can score runs with most of the team batting under .200.

I am going to say that the Sox take 2 of 3 this weekend. I think CC will be the lone Yanks win…but then again, I have been trying to predict lottery numbers for years and it never works.

11. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 7, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Love to see the wind come out of the sails of the know nothing Band-Wagon Nation.

If you want to see grown men whine and cry, tune into one of their post game wrap up shows after any loss.

The Boston press are worse cheerleaders than the actual fans. “Best Team Ever” guess we won’t be seeing that headline again anytime soon LMAO

Suck it Boston!!!

12. Lukehart80 - Apr 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

It’s an understandable start. The Rangers are the defending American League champions and one of the best teams in baseball… and Cleveland is a juggernaut, especially in-front of their huge hometown crowds.

Three legends off to Cooperstown