Apr 7, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
I’ve been getting annoyed at all of the “no team who has ever started 0 and whatever has ever made the playoffs” stuff, but I suppose at some point those numbers are going to become relevant. And we’re a day closer to that, because Boston lost again this afternoon, and they did it in frustrating fashion. At least at the end.
There were two outs in the ninth, with the Sox down 1-0. David Ortiz walked, and Darnell McDonald pinch-ran for him. J.D. Drew hit a grounder up the middle that ricocheted off Chris Perez‘s foot and bounced to the third baseman Adam Everett. McDonald would have been safe at second by a mile had he stopped, but he overran the bag, slipped, and then couldn’t get up as he tried to crawl back. Everett threw to second baseman Orlando Cabrera who tagged McDonald out to end the game. MLB.com doesn’t have the highlight up yet, but here’s a handy animated gif of the play. The fact that it repeats over and over will make Red Sox fans enjoy it all the more.
Before all of that we had a pitchers’ duel and some small-ball supreme. Jon Lester and Fausto Carmona were both on point, each shutting out the other side over seven innings on a cold windy day, Lester doing so with nine Ks. In the bottom of the eighth the Indians manufactured a run with a walk, a steal, a sacrifice and then a squeeze play, with Adam Everett doing the walking, stealing and running and Asdrubal Cabrera laying down the squeeze bunt. And he may have had his foot out of the batter’s box when he bunted and should have been out, but that’s fairly academic now.
The Sox have a quiet plane ride back to Boston this afternoon and then a series against the Yankees that — dare I say it on April 7th? — is a must-win.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)