Apr 8, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge just made some interesting comments about Jack Wilson.
We initially heard that Wilson was pulled from Wednesday’s game against the Rangers due to defensive issues after committing two errors in one inning, but Wedge told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times today that the infielder actually pulled himself from the game.
“I tried to protect Jack by saying he was a little bit hazy and then he made mention of the fact that I took him out of the game,” Wedge said. “I did not take him out of the game. He took himself out of the game. (Bench coach) Robby Thompson and I were underneath there, and wanted him to go back out. Wanted to convince him to go back out. He didn’t think he could do that and ultimately we had to make a change.”
Yikes. If those comments aren’t strong enough for you, Wedge also called Wilson’s decision to leave the game “unspeakable.”
There are obviously some things we don’t know here, but one must wonder if Wilson isn’t thrilled with his recent move to second base. Adam Kennedy is starting at second base tonight against the Indians and while Wedge said Wilson is “available,” it’s pretty clear that he’s in the doghouse, if not out the door completely.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)