Apr 8, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
Mariners manager Eric Wedge just made some interesting comments about Jack Wilson.
We initially heard that Wilson was pulled from Wednesday’s game against the Rangers due to defensive issues after committing two errors in one inning, but Wedge told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times today that the infielder actually pulled himself from the game.
“I tried to protect Jack by saying he was a little bit hazy and then he made mention of the fact that I took him out of the game,” Wedge said. “I did not take him out of the game. He took himself out of the game. (Bench coach) Robby Thompson and I were underneath there, and wanted him to go back out. Wanted to convince him to go back out. He didn’t think he could do that and ultimately we had to make a change.”
Yikes. If those comments aren’t strong enough for you, Wedge also called Wilson’s decision to leave the game “unspeakable.”
There are obviously some things we don’t know here, but one must wonder if Wilson isn’t thrilled with his recent move to second base. Adam Kennedy is starting at second base tonight against the Indians and while Wedge said Wilson is “available,” it’s pretty clear that he’s in the doghouse, if not out the door completely.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)