Eric Wedge is not happy with Jack Wilson right now

Apr 8, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT

wilson_jack

Mariners manager Eric Wedge just made some interesting comments about Jack Wilson.

We initially heard that Wilson was pulled from Wednesday’s game against the Rangers due to defensive issues after committing two errors in one inning, but Wedge told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times today that the infielder actually pulled himself from the game.

“I tried to protect Jack by saying he was a little bit hazy and then he made mention of the fact that I took him out of the game,” Wedge said. “I did not take him out of the game. He took himself out of the game. (Bench coach) Robby Thompson and I were underneath there, and wanted him to go back out. Wanted to convince him to go back out. He didn’t think he could do that and ultimately we had to make a change.”

Yikes. If those comments aren’t strong enough for you, Wedge also called Wilson’s decision to leave the game “unspeakable.”

There are obviously some things we don’t know here, but one must wonder if Wilson isn’t thrilled with his recent move to second base. Adam Kennedy is starting at second base tonight against the Indians and while Wedge said Wilson is “available,” it’s pretty clear that he’s in the doghouse, if not out the door completely.

1. clydeserra - Apr 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Shouldn’t this story be matched with a picture of Ron from parks and rec, if its about the Mariners manager?

2. prionogenic - Apr 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Good for Jack. If I were pushed to do a job I wasn’t adequately prepared for and I was not doing well, I wouldn’t want to keep going back. For someone that has always taken a lot of pride for their glove, I think it probably kills Wilson to keep going out and making mistakes that add up to losses. I’m sure he’s not proud of how he’s playing so he’d rather not go out to 2B to embarrass himself and cost his team wins.

• motherscratcher23 - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Jack Wilson is making $5 mil this year. I understand that he may not LIKE switching positions, and he may PREFER another position…

But, for $5 mil I would expect Jack to play whatever position the manager asked him to play and to do it to the best of his ability.

3. frankvzappa - Apr 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM

maybe he would have more leverage if had even heard of him before last week

• marinersnate - Apr 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM

“maybe he would have more leverage if had even heard of him before last week”

You have never heard of Jack Wilson? A “REAL” baseball junkie huh?

Oh, that’s right. He has never played in the AL East.

4. madocyankfan - Apr 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Doesn’t surprise me. Look at the Texas game from Wednesday. I’m sure he was embarrassed with his defense.

5. baseballstars - Apr 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM

He’s one hell of a defender. If he’s cut, he’ll probably find a job elsewhere pretty easily.

He should have handled this better, but for someone as good as a defender as him, it has to suck when you are moved from your normal position. I still think you gut it out (a la Michael Young), but I do understand the frustrations. He can’t hit very well and made a living as a good defensive shortstop, a position where defense is more important than at second (and therefore makes him more valuable).

6. tbdevilrayfan - Apr 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Why do the Mariners treat these guys like Little Leaguers? Last year they signed Figgins, knowing that he was comfortable at 3rd base, then swapped him over to 2nd and put two guys in different positions. This year they go out and get Ryan, who can play about anywhere, and stick him at SS, where they have a slick fielder there already, then put that guy out of position?
    Looks like another year in the cellar for the M’s!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3308)