Going forward, there will be a heavy police presence at Dodger Stadium

Apr 8, 2011, 12:05 PM EST

Dodger Stadium

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, police Chief Charlie Beck and Frank McCourt are going to hold a news conference today to announce new security measures at Dodger Stadium in the wake of the beating of Bryan Stow last week. We don’t know everything, but Chief Beck made it clear that at least parts of it won’t be subtle:

“[T]here’s going to see a sea of blue, but it’s not going to be Dodgers blue. It’s going to be LAPD blue.”

That sounds friendly enough.

Seriously, though, whatever (a) increases security; but (b) doesn’t interfere with people actually enjoying a baseball game is cool by me.

1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

It’s a shame, really, if this has been an issue for years and this is what it took to be addressed……But with that being said, this is far better than what they had going obviously, simply the presence of law enforcement tends to make bad apples think twice…

I know it works at Citizen’s Bank, some people are just going to be meatheads, and police presence is way better than private security for all kinds of reasons

• kellyb9 - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Have you ever actually been to a Phillies game? There really isn’t a police presence at all. I can remember a few times where people were escorted out, but most of the stadium is filled with your standard in-house security/old folks that show you to your seats and check your ticket stubs.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM

My question to you. Did you ever go to a game at the Vet? There’s a marked difference……inside information benefits me in knowing 2 things: There is much more of as police presence today then there ever was in those days, and they’re not always in uniform, because who wants to be distracted from the game by worrying about “why are there so many cops here?”

• Utley's Hair - Apr 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM

They’re not really outwardly present there, but there are police officers at the Bank—at least last season, probably in response to the once-in-God-only-knows-how-long incidents which are now (according to just about anybody who mentions it) apparently a daily occurence and are almost rites of passage in the life of a Phightins Phan.

My kid was joking around with a couple of them after a game last year.

2. Lloyd Philip - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM

So GQ had a very well researched and scientific poll that did not include the fans that are responsible for many crimes against humanity for many years? Brilliant!

• tomemos - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

What is this in reference to?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Thank you. I thought I was missing something there.

3. kolfax - Apr 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I can be a Dodger again. The initial response from McCourt wasn’t much. Seattle games have a great police presence outside the park, so I’ve never been uncomfortable watching or leaving a game. Hope they cage the animals responsible for the senseless beating of simply, a baseball fan.

4. baseballstars - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM

I generally hate biometric face scanners, but this (and in Oakland during football season) might be a place where they’d actually be useful. Instead of trying to gentrify baseball by greatly increasing the ticket prices to keep the undesirables out (and hurt the poor and good people on the lower end of the socio-economic status), little things like increased security measures would be a much better option. I personally think ticket prices (for the most part) are too high, so I can’t be in favor of increasing prices just to keep the gang members and thugs away. It will inevitably hurt others as well.

5. pipkin42 - Apr 10, 2011 at 3:44 AM

So great that the Dodgers are so incompetently run that mow the LAPD has to waste valuable personnel guarding the stadium. Speaking of public subsidies of ball teams…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester