Apr 8, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Jake Peavy will begin his rehab assignment tonight at Double-A and pitching coach Don Cooper indicated that he’ll be asked to make three additional starts in the minors before potentially rejoining the White Sox’s rotation.
That would put Peavy on track to come off the disabled list around May 5, which is the start of a nine-game road trip. Before that can happen he’ll need to avoid a setback and build up his arm strength, as Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Peavy is slated to throw about 75 pitches tonight.
Philip Humber, who replaced Peavy in the rotation, is set to make his first start tomorrow against the Rays after making two appearances as a reliever. Peavy hasn’t pitched since July of last season because of shoulder problems.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)