Apr 8, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Jake Peavy will begin his rehab assignment tonight at Double-A and pitching coach Don Cooper indicated that he’ll be asked to make three additional starts in the minors before potentially rejoining the White Sox’s rotation.
That would put Peavy on track to come off the disabled list around May 5, which is the start of a nine-game road trip. Before that can happen he’ll need to avoid a setback and build up his arm strength, as Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Peavy is slated to throw about 75 pitches tonight.
Philip Humber, who replaced Peavy in the rotation, is set to make his first start tomorrow against the Rays after making two appearances as a reliever. Peavy hasn’t pitched since July of last season because of shoulder problems.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)