Apr 8, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Jake Peavy will begin his rehab assignment tonight at Double-A and pitching coach Don Cooper indicated that he’ll be asked to make three additional starts in the minors before potentially rejoining the White Sox’s rotation.
That would put Peavy on track to come off the disabled list around May 5, which is the start of a nine-game road trip. Before that can happen he’ll need to avoid a setback and build up his arm strength, as Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Peavy is slated to throw about 75 pitches tonight.
Philip Humber, who replaced Peavy in the rotation, is set to make his first start tomorrow against the Rays after making two appearances as a reliever. Peavy hasn’t pitched since July of last season because of shoulder problems.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)