Apr 8, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Forgetting all of the other stuff for a moment, let’s marvel at just how good of a hitter Manny Ramirez was over the course of 19 major league seasons.
- Ramirez finishes his career with a .312/.411/.585 line. He ranks 87th all-time in average, 32nd in on-base percentage and ninth in slugging percentage. His .996 career OPS ranks ninth all-time:
1. Babe Ruth – 1.164
2. Ted Williams – 1.116
3. Lou Gehrig – 1.080
4. Barry Bonds – 1.051
5. Albert Pujols – 1.048
6. Jimmie Foxx – 1.038
7. Hank Greenberg – 1.017
8. Rogers Hornsby – 1.010
9. Ramirez – .996
10. Mark McGwire – .982
- 14th all-time with 555 homers.
– 18th all-time with 1,831 RBI
– 24th all-time with 547 doubles
– 26th all-time with 4,826 total bases
– 56th all-time with 1,544 runs scored
– 82nd all-time with 2,574 hits
– 11th all-time with 216 intentional walks
– 13th all-time with 14.9 AB/HR
- Ramirez is 42nd all-time in times on base, compared to just 131st in outs made.
- Ramirez had four 40-homer seasons, leading the AL in 2004 with 43 homers.
- His 165-RBI campaign in 1999 gives him the highest total anyone has amassed since Jimmie Foxx drove in 175 runs for the Red Sox in 1938.
- Ramirez led the AL in OPS in 1999, 2000 and 2004 and finished second on three other occasions. From 1999-2004, he never finished with an OPS under 1.000.
- He led the AL in OBP in 2002, 2003 and 2006.
- Ramirez hit 21 grand slams, which ranks second in MLB history behind Gehrig’s 23.
- Joined with David Ortiz in finishing with a .300 average, 40 homers and 100 RBI in 2004, making them the first pair of teammates to do so since Ruth and Gehrig in 1931.
- Hit .295/.394/.544 in 111 postseason games, playing for two World Series winners with the Red Sox in 2004 and 2007. In 2004, he was the World Series MVP.
- Ranks first all-time with 29 postseason homers, seven more than Bernie Williams. He’s second to Williams with 78 RBI.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)