Apr 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
It wasn’t pretty — God, it wasn’t pretty — but the Red Sox are finally in the win column, having beat the Yankees 9-6.
This was a game, more than any other, that puts lie to the significance of the win stat. Because John Lackey got the win despite pitching terribly: five innings, seven hits and six runs allowed. His saving grace: Phil Hughes was way worse, allowing six runs on seven hits in two innings. He didn’t strike out a batter. His velocity, while not quite as bad as his first start (at least judging by NESN’s gun) wasn’t great, and he didn’t fool any Red Sox hitters.
The question after this one is whether Hughes is totally healthy. It wouldn’t shock me to see him DL’d for some reason. Or perhaps to have his next start skipped. If so, Joe Girardi has the option of inserting Bartolo Colon in his place. Colon was actually pretty good in middle relief today despite taking the loss, striking out five in four and a third innings and flashing good speed and movement.
Offensively, Terry Francona’s gambit of putting Carl Crawford in the leadoff spot wasn’t exactly a masterstroke given that he was 0 for 5, but most of the other guys in the lineup hit.
Most importantly, however, is the fact that this game has taken a giant weight off the Red Sox’ shoulders. Now that they will no longer be asked “when will you win?!” the season can truly begin for them. Or at the very least get normal.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)