Apr 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
It wasn’t pretty — God, it wasn’t pretty — but the Red Sox are finally in the win column, having beat the Yankees 9-6.
This was a game, more than any other, that puts lie to the significance of the win stat. Because John Lackey got the win despite pitching terribly: five innings, seven hits and six runs allowed. His saving grace: Phil Hughes was way worse, allowing six runs on seven hits in two innings. He didn’t strike out a batter. His velocity, while not quite as bad as his first start (at least judging by NESN’s gun) wasn’t great, and he didn’t fool any Red Sox hitters.
The question after this one is whether Hughes is totally healthy. It wouldn’t shock me to see him DL’d for some reason. Or perhaps to have his next start skipped. If so, Joe Girardi has the option of inserting Bartolo Colon in his place. Colon was actually pretty good in middle relief today despite taking the loss, striking out five in four and a third innings and flashing good speed and movement.
Offensively, Terry Francona’s gambit of putting Carl Crawford in the leadoff spot wasn’t exactly a masterstroke given that he was 0 for 5, but most of the other guys in the lineup hit.
Most importantly, however, is the fact that this game has taken a giant weight off the Red Sox’ shoulders. Now that they will no longer be asked “when will you win?!” the season can truly begin for them. Or at the very least get normal.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)