Apr 8, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
It wasn’t pretty — God, it wasn’t pretty — but the Red Sox are finally in the win column, having beat the Yankees 9-6.
This was a game, more than any other, that puts lie to the significance of the win stat. Because John Lackey got the win despite pitching terribly: five innings, seven hits and six runs allowed. His saving grace: Phil Hughes was way worse, allowing six runs on seven hits in two innings. He didn’t strike out a batter. His velocity, while not quite as bad as his first start (at least judging by NESN’s gun) wasn’t great, and he didn’t fool any Red Sox hitters.
The question after this one is whether Hughes is totally healthy. It wouldn’t shock me to see him DL’d for some reason. Or perhaps to have his next start skipped. If so, Joe Girardi has the option of inserting Bartolo Colon in his place. Colon was actually pretty good in middle relief today despite taking the loss, striking out five in four and a third innings and flashing good speed and movement.
Offensively, Terry Francona’s gambit of putting Carl Crawford in the leadoff spot wasn’t exactly a masterstroke given that he was 0 for 5, but most of the other guys in the lineup hit.
Most importantly, however, is the fact that this game has taken a giant weight off the Red Sox’ shoulders. Now that they will no longer be asked “when will you win?!” the season can truly begin for them. Or at the very least get normal.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)