Apr 8, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Tyler Yates was healthy enough to pitch during spring training after missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 following Tommy John surgery, but now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he has a torn flexor tendon in the same elbow.
Yates got the bad news from Dr. James Andrews and will be re-examined in six weeks, but surgery to repair the torn tendon could knock him out for a second straight season.
Prior to all the arm problems Yates was a decent reliever for the Braves and Pirates, posting a 4.66 ERA and 178 strikeouts in 189 innings from 2006 to 2008, but he always struggled to consistently throw strikes and could turn 34 years old before taking the mound again.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)