Apr 8, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Tyler Yates was healthy enough to pitch during spring training after missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 following Tommy John surgery, but now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he has a torn flexor tendon in the same elbow.
Yates got the bad news from Dr. James Andrews and will be re-examined in six weeks, but surgery to repair the torn tendon could knock him out for a second straight season.
Prior to all the arm problems Yates was a decent reliever for the Braves and Pirates, posting a 4.66 ERA and 178 strikeouts in 189 innings from 2006 to 2008, but he always struggled to consistently throw strikes and could turn 34 years old before taking the mound again.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)