Apr 8, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Tyler Yates was healthy enough to pitch during spring training after missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 following Tommy John surgery, but now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he has a torn flexor tendon in the same elbow.
Yates got the bad news from Dr. James Andrews and will be re-examined in six weeks, but surgery to repair the torn tendon could knock him out for a second straight season.
Prior to all the arm problems Yates was a decent reliever for the Braves and Pirates, posting a 4.66 ERA and 178 strikeouts in 189 innings from 2006 to 2008, but he always struggled to consistently throw strikes and could turn 34 years old before taking the mound again.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 40
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)