Apr 8, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Tyler Yates was healthy enough to pitch during spring training after missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 following Tommy John surgery, but now Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he has a torn flexor tendon in the same elbow.
Yates got the bad news from Dr. James Andrews and will be re-examined in six weeks, but surgery to repair the torn tendon could knock him out for a second straight season.
Prior to all the arm problems Yates was a decent reliever for the Braves and Pirates, posting a 4.66 ERA and 178 strikeouts in 189 innings from 2006 to 2008, but he always struggled to consistently throw strikes and could turn 34 years old before taking the mound again.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)