Apr 8, 2011, 4:19 PM EST
Big news: Major League Baseball just announced that Manny Ramirez has retired. Major League Baseball said that his retirement came after he was told of “an issue” with the drug treatment and prevention program. The statement:
“Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed. MLB will not have any further comment on this matter.”
Since the report of his retirement came out it has been confirmed by multiple sources that Ramirez failed a drug test during spring training. Thus his retirement preempts a mandatory 100-game suspension.
Manny was 1 for 17 for the Rays this year. This was preceded by competing talk over the winter in which most people doubted Ramirez’s motivation in light of his meager contract while some — this writer included — thought that he felt he had something to prove to himself or baseball. The drug situation obviously impacts this in a completely different way.
I’m assuming we’ll get an official statement from Ramirez or his agent soon. We’ll update as we learn more.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)