Apr 8, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Terry Francona is tinkering with the lineup for today’s game with the Yankees: he has moved Carl Crawford to the top of the order — his fourth different slot in seven games — and he’s rounding it out with Pedroia second, Gonzalez third and then Youkilis, Ortiz, Drew, Saltalamacchia, Ellsbury and Scutaro.
Lineup order doesn’t interest me too much. For example, unlike some — who are taking this very seriously — I haven’t gotten too worked up over the Braves batting Jason Heyward sixth. Is it ideal? No. But batting order is a pretty small thing in the grand scheme and there are a lot of things more worthy of my limited supplies of ire. Like golf. God, do I hate golf.
As for the Red Sox, this lineup change comes with a couple of pre-set storylines, ready for any result in today’s game. If the Sox score a lot and win, Francona “sparked” things by putting Crawford in the leadoff spot. If they lose, Francona was “desperately shuffling, hoping for a spark.”
There are a butt-ton of good hitters in that lineup. Eventually they’ll all hit, and it won’t really matter where they’re at.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)