And That Happened Express: Friday’s Scores and Highlights

Apr 9, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT

Braves batter Jones hits a double scoring three runs off Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Lee in their home opening MLB baseball game in Atlanta

I mentioned in the first “And That Happened” of the year that I may start doing weekend ATHs. ATH is a time-consuming endeavor, and I try to follow the normal social conventions in my personal life (i.e. Friday night is for girlfriends, Saturday night is for wives), so for now I think I’m going to make it an ATH Express. A few words here and there but mostly a list of scores and a thread for everyone to chat.  We’ll see how it goes.

And please: don’t kill me if I miss it on the weekends once in a while because, hey, sometimes even basement bloggers have a nice Friday night and need to recover on Saturday.

Braves 6, Phillies 3: Cliff Lee clearly didn’t have his best stuff. Chipper Jones gets his 2500th hit, though I’m not sure how number 2499 — the “double” off Victorinio’s glove — wasn’t scored an error. I mean, sure, it was nice getting to the ball, but you still gotta catch it when it smacks your glove.  Oh well, that stuff is arbitrary.  Anyway, the Phillies find that life is a bit trickier when they face an actual major league pitching staff.

Diamondbacks 13, Reds 2: Oh no, Ohio.

Indians 12, Mariners 3: Viva Ohio.

Cubs 7, Brewers 4: Viva Zambrano.

Blue Jays 3, Angels 2: “Hey everyone! It’s Vernon! How ya been, Vernon!”

Pirates 4, Rockies 3: The Pirates haven’t had a day off yet and won’t until they’ve played 10 games. They’re the only team stuck with that nonsense.

Rays 9, White Sox 7: Late rally and the Rays are off the schnide. Whatever the hell the schnide is.

Marlins 4, Astros 3: Hanley Ramirez got hurt in a collision. We’ll learn more today.

Giants 5, Cardinals 4: Return of the “torture” thing. You’d think that the Giants were the only team in baseball history to play crappy and then come back.

Twins 2, Athletics 1: You hear that Mr. Anderson?… That is the sound of inevitability… It is the sound of your death… Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.

Nationals 6, Mets 2: The flutterball didn’t flutter for R.A. Dickey.

Tigers 5, Royals 2: Prediction: by the end of April we will have forgotten that the Royals were frisky during that first week.

Red Sox 9, Yankees 6: Phil Hughes has had a batter swing and miss at a pitch three times in two starts.

Dodgers vs. Padres: SUSPENDED. It’s 2-2 in the ninth. They’ll resume it today before the regularly scheduled game. How many rain delays do you see in San Diego?

Rangers vs. Orioles: POSTPONED

1. paperlions - Apr 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I had no idea that Pujols had a twin brother named Ozzie, but that is the only explanation for this version of Pujols’ horrible offensive AND defensive play this year. He lost last nights game all by himself. He has sucked in every aspect of the game so far this year (and been especially horrible on defense). If he is trying to easy Cardinal fans into the idea of him leaving after this year, he’s doing a fine job of it.

• fanoredsox - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Maybe he just pulling a “MANNY”. You know, if you don’t want to give this overgrown baby what he wants then he will throw a tantrum and sabotage everyone’s season. I would say that scenario is more likely than his skills just evaporated overnight. The owners need to put him in “time out” until he changes his attitude.

2. John Whitehouse - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

ATH Express sucks. Outsource it to one of your minions.

• Old Gator - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM

What’s the big deal? You still get the scented soap, the little shampoo packets, the mini fridge and the Liliputian coffee maker. Come on now. You can live without the waffer thin mint, can’t you?

3. Ari Collins - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Glad to see Boston and TB win, mostly so the stories can at least change from “Will they ever win?” to “Can they ever catch up?”

Wish I could have heard the Rays announcers as Dan Johnson hit a homer to give the Rays the 9th inning come-from-behind lead (and it was their first lead of THE ENTIRE SEASON), but I didn’t pay the $20 extra for MLB.TV Premium, so I instead heard Hawk Harrelson quietly call the home run in a deadpan someone-peed-in-his-Cheerleader-Os voice.

• tjwilliams - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

If you can, find Hawk’s call of this homer: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11087783 . Jim Thome’s 10th inning, walk-off homer from last August. It was awesome.

Also pretty good was Hawk’s call of Torii Hunter robbing Carlos Lee of a homer several years ago: “You can put it on the booooOh No!”

• Cran Boy - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Re Sox and Rays – best line I saw was from Bill James: “We’re having a staring contest with the Rays. Whoever blinks first wins.”

4. Ari Collins - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Also, this isn’t my team, so I think I’m allowed to say it without sounding whiny: Jordan Zimmermann should get more attention. Attention must be paid! He’s really a very good pitcher.

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Sorry Ari, but Zimmermann is not presently a very good pitcher. He has very good stuff, and on occasion puts it together and has an outstanding outing. To date those have been few and far between, granted injury has been a big part of that but before he deserves the VGP tag he needs more consistency.

• Old Gator - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Someone who throws potatoes around has no right to criticize Jordan Zimmerman.

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Not one of your better efforts Ol’ Aged Reptile, maybe it is an old midwestern colloquialism but back when I was a kid, tossing the spud was a common baseball reference and since Idaho has been my home for some 30 years now it seemed fitting. Imagine a bad-assed Foghorn Leghorn, the Chukar, hurling a spud at a 90+ clip uttering, “I say, I say boy, that girl is like the hiway between Dallas and Ft. Worth, no curves.” Which brings me back to Zimmerman and his potatos that have plenty of mustard on them, but too often get mashed.

• Ari Collins - Apr 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Even with the injuries, through his first 25 major league starts, he’s got nearly a K per inning and less than 3 walks per 9. And a decent ground ball rate to boot. His only issue has been home runs, and that’s due to a HR/FB ratio that’s totally out of whack and should come down, especially considering his home park.

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

He has also one only 5 of those 25 starts, posted a 4.58 ERA, a 92 ERA+, and a WHIP of 1.33. Some of these numbers can be excused cause he is a Nat, but before he garners the VGP status he needs to get some of those numbers down.

5. Old Gator - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hanley has a badly bruised shin, possible sprain, no breakage. He should go home for a few days and tilt the pitching machine forward so that it sends him bouncers off the floor, position his armchair about ninety feet away from it, and just sit there learning to close his hands around the ball when it reaches him. Do that about a hundred and fifty to two hundred times a day until his leg is OK for him to field his position again. Or, he might take this opportunity to be injected with tree frog stem cells in hopes of making his fingertips sticky. Anything to help him catch the goddamned ball better.

• wonkypenguin - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Tried to watch the Cardinals/Giants game while waiting for the Cubs game to start. Words cannot describe how much I hate Tony LaRussa’s managerial style (PITCHING CHANGE!!! HOW MUCH LONGER UNTIL I CAN MAKE A PITCHING CHANGE??!) or how much fun it is to watch Albert struggle. I had no idea I was one of THOSE people…really.

• fanoredsox - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

We all enjoy a good train wreck.

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Maybe you should have spent more time actually watching the game. Hate all you want, but LaRussa only used 6 pitchers in 11 2/3 innings. Westbrook 5 2/3, Boggs 1 1/3, Miller 1, Franklin 1, Augenstein 2, and Tallent 2/3 and the loss. The Giants on the other hand used 8 pitchers in their 12 innings of work. I too at times disagree with multiple pitching changes LaRussa chooses to employ, but yesterday was not one of those days. The bandwagon of displeasure is easy to jump on, but one ought to save it for credible leaps.

• wonkypenguin - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Spudchukar – I wasn’t speaking about yesterday’s game specifically when it comes to Snoopy. I don’t like La Russa’s managerial style at all, any aspect of it. Like when he came out of the dugout to argue that Posey didn’t touch second after he so obviously did AND the pitcher appealed with a throw. I know other managers might do that and everything – it’s just him. And I feel like he’s ALWAYS waiting to make a pitching change. :-)

My distaste for him is proven by just about everything because I want it to be and there is no OBJECTIVE measurement for personal displeasure with a given individual, right?

• paperlions - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Last night’s game was hard to watch….the last thing you want is a game situation that allows LaRussa to make moves in an attempt to win the game, wasted ABs with bunts, endless IBB, double switches, countless relief appearances, empty benches so that pitchers have to pinch hit for relievers. Smart managers just put the best players on the field and let them play until the game is decided….LaRussa just can’t let that happen and hurts his team way more than he helps.

• wonkypenguin - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

That was NOT a response to you, Gator. You can tell because I didn’t mention the Feesh at all. :-D

• Old Gator - Apr 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

That’s OK – I love watching Albert struggle too, ever since he associated himself with Glenn Pecker and Princess Tundra Trash. But we have to be realistic about this, and admit, with Napoleon, that “quand le Albert s’éveillera, le monde tremblera.”

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Careful Pat Robertson and his ilk will be a blamin’ Phat Albert for them recent quakes in the land of the Budda-Lovin’ non-believers.

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Phillies bull pen has been seriously hot lately. regardless of lee stinking.

7. yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Nice Goodfellas reference, Craig. Still don’t know how you picked up the retail term “Express” to indicate a skimped down, low rent offering, but it’s better than nuttin’ if the public wants to cherry-pick a few best selling crumbs.

8. macjacmccoy - Apr 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Yea your right Brett Myers Wandy Rodriguez Chris Young and Mike Pelfrey suck

• spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Yeah, they do.

9. APBA Guy - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

The A’s season so far does indeed have a Matrix quality to it, without the fashion sense, of course. This is Oakland we’re talking about.

So why did Geren leave Mr. Anderson in with the game tied in the bottom of the 8th? All of a sudden the realization that the bullpen is not an asset seems to have sunk in, and it only took three bad efforts in the first 6 games. But surely someone could have come in and had more stuff than Anderson. Tyson Ross, for instance.

Now after two starts Anderson has given up 3 ER and is 0-1. The A’s offense looks as anemic as ever.

10. jimbo1949 - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM

That would be schneid as in Schneider, the super from One Day at a Time. Which is the only way to take it when you’re on the schneid.

11. frankvzappa - Apr 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Worst. ATH. Ever.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3449)