Apr 9, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
I mentioned in the first “And That Happened” of the year that I may start doing weekend ATHs. ATH is a time-consuming endeavor, and I try to follow the normal social conventions in my personal life (i.e. Friday night is for girlfriends, Saturday night is for wives), so for now I think I’m going to make it an ATH Express. A few words here and there but mostly a list of scores and a thread for everyone to chat. We’ll see how it goes.
And please: don’t kill me if I miss it on the weekends once in a while because, hey, sometimes even basement bloggers have a nice Friday night and need to recover on Saturday.
Braves 6, Phillies 3: Cliff Lee clearly didn’t have his best stuff. Chipper Jones gets his 2500th hit, though I’m not sure how number 2499 — the “double” off Victorinio’s glove — wasn’t scored an error. I mean, sure, it was nice getting to the ball, but you still gotta catch it when it smacks your glove. Oh well, that stuff is arbitrary. Anyway, the Phillies find that life is a bit trickier when they face an actual major league pitching staff.
Diamondbacks 13, Reds 2: Oh no, Ohio.
Indians 12, Mariners 3: Viva Ohio.
Cubs 7, Brewers 4: Viva Zambrano.
Blue Jays 3, Angels 2: “Hey everyone! It’s Vernon! How ya been, Vernon!”
Pirates 4, Rockies 3: The Pirates haven’t had a day off yet and won’t until they’ve played 10 games. They’re the only team stuck with that nonsense.
Rays 9, White Sox 7: Late rally and the Rays are off the schnide. Whatever the hell the schnide is.
Giants 5, Cardinals 4: Return of the “torture” thing. You’d think that the Giants were the only team in baseball history to play crappy and then come back.
Twins 2, Athletics 1: You hear that Mr. Anderson?… That is the sound of inevitability… It is the sound of your death… Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.
Tigers 5, Royals 2: Prediction: by the end of April we will have forgotten that the Royals were frisky during that first week.
Dodgers vs. Padres: SUSPENDED. It’s 2-2 in the ninth. They’ll resume it today before the regularly scheduled game. How many rain delays do you see in San Diego?
Rangers vs. Orioles: POSTPONED
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 14
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)