Apr 9, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Roberts is in the starting lineup for the first game of today’s doubleheader.
11:03 AM: According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, tests on Roberts’ stomach issue came back negative and he has been cleared to play. However, his availability for today’s doubleheader against the Rangers is not yet known.
Friday, 9:44 PM: The Orioles might be leading the American League East with a 5-1 record, but they’re also pacing the competition in hospital visits recently.
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Brian Roberts was taken to the hospital with a stomach issue prior to tonight’s game against the Rangers. He alerted the Orioles’ medical staff about 20 minutes before game-time and was a late scratch from the lineup, which ultimately didn’t matter because the game was postponed due to rain. The teams will play a doubleheader tomorrow.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter said they will see how Roberts feels in the morning before determining his availability. Doesn’t it feel like it’s always something with this guy?
Roberts, 33, appeared in just 59 games last season due to a lengthy absence with a herniated disk in his back. He missed the final six games of the season after hitting himself in the helmet with his bat.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)