Apr 9, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Roberts is in the starting lineup for the first game of today’s doubleheader.
11:03 AM: According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, tests on Roberts’ stomach issue came back negative and he has been cleared to play. However, his availability for today’s doubleheader against the Rangers is not yet known.
Friday, 9:44 PM: The Orioles might be leading the American League East with a 5-1 record, but they’re also pacing the competition in hospital visits recently.
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Brian Roberts was taken to the hospital with a stomach issue prior to tonight’s game against the Rangers. He alerted the Orioles’ medical staff about 20 minutes before game-time and was a late scratch from the lineup, which ultimately didn’t matter because the game was postponed due to rain. The teams will play a doubleheader tomorrow.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter said they will see how Roberts feels in the morning before determining his availability. Doesn’t it feel like it’s always something with this guy?
Roberts, 33, appeared in just 59 games last season due to a lengthy absence with a herniated disk in his back. He missed the final six games of the season after hitting himself in the helmet with his bat.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)