Apr 9, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy has been dealing with discomfort in the left side of his body for a couple of days now. On Saturday, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he was finally diagnosed with a strained left oblique.
Recovery times tend to differ for oblique strains, but it’s a near certainty that the Orioles will place Hardy on the 15-day disabled list so that they can free up a roster spot and bring in some depth.
Hardy, 28, is batting .200 with a .294 on-base percentage over his first 17 plate appearances in an Orioles uniform.
UPDATE: According to MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, the O’s are worried that Hardy could miss six weeks.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)