Apr 9, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy has been dealing with discomfort in the left side of his body for a couple of days now. On Saturday, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he was finally diagnosed with a strained left oblique.
Recovery times tend to differ for oblique strains, but it’s a near certainty that the Orioles will place Hardy on the 15-day disabled list so that they can free up a roster spot and bring in some depth.
Hardy, 28, is batting .200 with a .294 on-base percentage over his first 17 plate appearances in an Orioles uniform.
UPDATE: According to MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, the O’s are worried that Hardy could miss six weeks.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 13
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)