Apr 9, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
Good news here for the Cardinals, who haven’t been getting many breaks in the early going and currently sit three games back of the Reds in the National League Central standings.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, outfielder Matt Holliday has been cleared to return to action and will be in the Cardinals’ lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale in San Francisco.
Holliday underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 2 and early timetables had him missing as much as a month. But the in-shape left fielder felt healthy almost immediately after the procedure and was given clearance Saturday night by team trainers.
Giants outfielder Andres Torres rushed back from an appendectomy in 11 days last year and told reporters after the season that he may have returned too quickly. But these are sort of case-by-base things. Adam Dunn, for instance, is already trying to claw his way back into the Chicago starting lineup despite having his appendix removed just this past Wednesday.
Holliday went 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI on Opening Day. It’s the only game he’s played thus far.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)