Apr 9, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Jake Peavy allowed two unearned runs on five hits and a walk over 3 2/3 innings last night in his first minor league rehab start with Double-A Birmingham.
Peavy also struck out four and threw a wild pitch. He was originally expected to throw approximately 75 pitches over five innings, but was pulled once he reached 72 pitches.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, Peavy felt fine and was satisfied with his performance.
“Everything went well tonight; it was a step in the right direction,” Peavy said. “My arm felt better than it has in quite a while. I didn’t command the ball the way I hoped, but it was nice to be under some lights in a nice competitive atmosphere.”
The next step is another minor league rehab start next Wednesday, where he is expected to throw 90 pitches. Barring any setbacks, he is lined up to make his season debut for the White Sox on April 28 against the Yankees.
Peavy is currently working his way back from a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his shoulder. He posted a 4.11 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings during Cactus League play before being shut down with rotator cuff tendinitis.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 56
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 1
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 131
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (131)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)