Apr 9, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Jake Peavy allowed two unearned runs on five hits and a walk over 3 2/3 innings last night in his first minor league rehab start with Double-A Birmingham.
Peavy also struck out four and threw a wild pitch. He was originally expected to throw approximately 75 pitches over five innings, but was pulled once he reached 72 pitches.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, Peavy felt fine and was satisfied with his performance.
“Everything went well tonight; it was a step in the right direction,” Peavy said. “My arm felt better than it has in quite a while. I didn’t command the ball the way I hoped, but it was nice to be under some lights in a nice competitive atmosphere.”
The next step is another minor league rehab start next Wednesday, where he is expected to throw 90 pitches. Barring any setbacks, he is lined up to make his season debut for the White Sox on April 28 against the Yankees.
Peavy is currently working his way back from a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his shoulder. He posted a 4.11 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings during Cactus League play before being shut down with rotator cuff tendinitis.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)