Apr 9, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Jake Peavy allowed two unearned runs on five hits and a walk over 3 2/3 innings last night in his first minor league rehab start with Double-A Birmingham.
Peavy also struck out four and threw a wild pitch. He was originally expected to throw approximately 75 pitches over five innings, but was pulled once he reached 72 pitches.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, Peavy felt fine and was satisfied with his performance.
“Everything went well tonight; it was a step in the right direction,” Peavy said. “My arm felt better than it has in quite a while. I didn’t command the ball the way I hoped, but it was nice to be under some lights in a nice competitive atmosphere.”
The next step is another minor league rehab start next Wednesday, where he is expected to throw 90 pitches. Barring any setbacks, he is lined up to make his season debut for the White Sox on April 28 against the Yankees.
Peavy is currently working his way back from a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his shoulder. He posted a 4.11 ERA and 8/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings during Cactus League play before being shut down with rotator cuff tendinitis.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (95)