Pedro Martinez wouldn’t mind finishing career with Red Sox

Apr 9, 2011, 10:21 PM EDT

pedro-110409.standard[1]

Every once in a while someone gets ahold of Pedro Martinez, talks to him about what he’s doing these days, and then gets around to asking the inevitable question: “Are you going to play again?”

Martinez has consistently said his return to baseball is unlikely, and that might still be true. But his tune is changing just a bit. Speaking to Joe Brescia of the New York Times, Martinez said he is not only interested in returning to MLB, but would prefer to finish up his career in Boston and officially retire as a member of the Red Sox.

I’d probably have to say the Red Sox. I would like to win a World Series in the National League, so the Phillies are in there, too. But for the time I’m going to be playing, I think Boston is more suitable so that I can retire with the Boston Red Sox and go to the Hall of Fame with the same hat.

Are you listening, Theo Epstein? After Clay Buchholz’s start today, you might want to consider it. Although, at the current pace, stocking up on arms for a pennant chase might be a pointless endeavor.

Martinez, 39, said he is in good shape right now and could be ready to take a mound within a month or so if need be. Over the course of his 18-year career, the certain Hall of Famer struck out 3,154 batters in 2,827.1 innings, going 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA. He last played in 2009 for the Phillies, when he was 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine games.

You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. derpdederpdederp - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM

why not? their pitching cant get much worse

• pisano - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I’m sure the Yankees would love to see that. Remember who your Daddy is Pedro!

2. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM

seeing him get trashed in the AL? too good to be true, wont happen

3. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 10, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Seriously, If I had a choice of Lackey vs. Pedro to start tomorrow, I would definitely pick Pedro. I was never a fan of nor did I agree of the big money the Sox gave Lackey. I guess the Sox got caught up in the “gamer’ and “big game starter” aspect of his pitching. Bottom line, Lackey is a very mediocre pitcher (at best) who has a very, very modest repertoire…especially when playing his home games at Fenway.

4. henryd3rd - Apr 10, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Yeah Right! For the kind of money Boston is shelling out to their pitchers I can understand how Pedro feels. Lackey and Becket have shown nothing since both signed those humongous contracts last year. And a 1-7 start has got to have Theo thinking right about now; but the next time we see Pedro in a Red Sox uniform will be on Old Timers Day

5. chortlz - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Beckett, Lackey, Matsusaka? Pedro is probably better than those guys. Makes me wonder where the Gerbil is these days.

6. sjhusak - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Certain Hall of Famer with 219 wins? I guess Andy Pettitte should start booking hotel rooms in Cooperstown for 6 years from now…he’s a far more accomplished pitcher. No doubt Pedro was terrific, but we always hear about 300 wins being the magic number.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3189)