Report: Yankees sign Carlos Silva

Apr 9, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT

silva head Getty Images

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Yankees have signed Carlos Silva.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post confirms Heyman’s report and adds that it is a minor league deal.

The 31-year-old right-hander posted a 4.22 ERA and an 80/24 K/BB ratio over 21 starts last season, but posted an ugly 10.90 ERA over 17 1/3 innings during spring training. The Cubs cut him loose after he refused a minor league assignment and are responsible for his $11.5 million salary for this season.

The Yankees would only have to pay him the major league minimum if he reaches the majors, so while Silva may have handled his exit from Chicago poorly, it’s worth a shot to create some depth for the starting rotation, especially in light of Phil Hughes‘ recent struggles. It’s worth noting that he had success under new Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild last season.

1. tbdevilrayfan - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I am sick and tired of the Yankees just going out and getting anything they want!!

Seriously, is this what panic smells like?

Burnett, Garcia, Colon, Sliva….that would be a stud rotation, if it was 2005.
    Hello…..McFly… McFly!!

• clydeserra - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

you forgot Millwood

• Old Gator - Apr 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Boy, and they said the Beanbags were panicking?

2. purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Bwahahahahahhahaha!!! The new, cheap, “recycle bin” Yankees reclaim more garbage again! Poor King George just rolled over in his grave upon hearing the news!

3. uyf1950 - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

That makes 13 pitchers for the Yankees a “bakers dozen”. Just kidding of course. Hay for $400,000 the league minimum on the slight chance he could help I say why not. Let him spend some time in the minors and see if he can get his act together. I bet Millwood is waiting to be called up I bet especially after Hughes troubles.

4. yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

If I had to make a decision between Silva vs. Millwood…..well, I think you know.

5. spudchukar - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

If I am the Rays, Jays or O’s hitters, I am licking my chops, waiting for the next series against the Sox/Yanks starters.

6. luckywi - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Well if he doesn’t have to run the bases, or doesn’t have “tummy problems”, he’s a good pitcher. Or a quiter. Take your pick.

7. xmatt0926x - Apr 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Good God of light. Is this is what the Yankees are coming to?? I now wish the Phils didn’t sign Cliff Lee just so I could stop reading about the ynakees signing these guys. No team should have to sign a Carlos Silva. It’s very sad for those Yanks.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM

My stars and garters! Is this the Cliff Lee of 3 1/3 innings 6 runs that you speak of?

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Hey, if they are minor league deals I have no problem at all with the Yankees stockpiling these guys. Hopefully they never see the big league roster, but if they are needed the team will have bodies.

9. henryd3rd - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The Yankee haters continue to amaze me with their constant whining. They only wish their teams were as successful as the Yankees. 27 World Series Championships and counting. No one even close. By the way to those jealous Red Sox fans; how does it feel to begin the season 1-7? And for that clown who said Rays, Jays and O’s hitters couldn’t wait to feast on Yankee pitching; be careful what you wish for you might get it!

• purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

What really cracks me up is how you Yankee Homers always fall back on the “number of championships” the Yankees have, as if YOU were even alive to see MOST of them! Truth is, you likely weren’t even born yet for any Yankee championships pre-dating 1975, so your opinion and bravado are as irrelevant as a White Sox fan feeling shame over the 1919 Black Sox scandal.

• tubal22 - Apr 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Uhm.. they’ve had 5 since 1996. Your point is stupid.

• purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM

tubal, no, you just made my point. Yankee homers like you pump up your chests and brag about ALL of the Yankee world championships, but I take it you’ve only been at least 8 years old to see just 5, am I right?

And just how many Yankee games did you attend in person when Babe Ruth or Joe DiMaggio was playing? Uh, that would be exactly NONE! Therefore you have ZERO bragging rights to that legacy (great as it obviously is).

All of the other Yankee title going all the way back to the turn of the century… as in TWO turn of the centuries ago now, are little more than good reading in a history book my friend, at least as far as you are concerned.

I could brag that Chicago was the undisputed speakeasy capital of the world during prohibition or that perhaps my Great Grandfather’s horses were known to be the best in the old west, but that’s equally pointless and irrelevant today too.

• txnative61 - Apr 10, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Yeah!!! I could say my Great Great Granddaddy’s Missouri jackasses really enjoyed breeding those abandon draft mares from back east, but that would be irrelevant today. Wait—didn’t the Royals put it to a few teams recently??

• txnative61 - Apr 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Yeah!!! I could say my Great Great Granddaddy’s Missouri jackasses enjoyed breeding those abandon draft mares from back east, but that would be irrelevant today. Wait—Didn’t the Royals put it to a few teams recently??

10. baseballstars - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I understand why the Yankees are doing this – they have a potentially catastrophic starting rotation, and they need help. But holy hell, this is a putrid signal that Cashman and the Yankees did not have a Plan B for Cliff Lee. Silva was blessed to have about 10 or so good starts last year, but he was horrible the second half of the season and took that into spring training… just like Phil Hughes. This signing doesn’t make too much sense to me. If Silva couldn’t survive in a very pitcher-friendly park, what makes the Yankees think he’ll be any different in the AL East? Excuse that sound, it’s just me throwing up. This is a new low in Yankee-land.

• purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Why did the Yankees sign Silva? Because as the little birdie likes to say, Hank and Hal are: “CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!!”. (ROFLMAO over the news).

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

It’s a minor league deal, just like Millwood, so calm down. If they release him, the Yanks are on the hook for $400K. The Steinbrenners wipe their asses with more money than that, so who cares?

• tubal22 - Apr 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Yankees payroll this year is $206,000,000.00. 40 million more than the next guy. Are you on crack?

• purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM

tubal… with the exception of Hank and Hal being severely pressured to give Jeter a much bigger contract extension than he deserved/earned, the rest of the Yankees big payroll players pre-dated the old Georgie Porgy’s boys inheriting the club.

So instead of being willing to trade a couple of top prospects for proven veteran starting pitchers who make $8M or more a year, Hank and Hal have indeed gone the cheap route, choosing instead to sign broken down has beens. That’s a fact, dude. Garcia, Colon, Prior, Millwood and Silva were ignored by the other 29 GM’s for a reason, despite their cheap asking prices. That’s not the stuff championships are made of my friend.

• purdueman - Apr 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

baseballstars.. EXACTLY! Couldn’t have said it better myself! This isn’t the Yankees of the King George days anymore… not by a longshot!

11. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

god i hope we dont see this guy in the bigs

12. marinersnate - Apr 10, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I watched Carlos pitch (and not pitch) for the M’s for years. He was horrible. But! Then the trade. We get Milton! (Yippie) We even had to send money along. To get… Milton?? But Carlos was a different pitcher in the first half last year for the Cubs. Heck, he was dang near an all-star.

Anyone who thinks that the Yankees’ signing this guy to a MINOR LEAGUE DEAL is a bad thing, is seriously misguided. If, at some point, Silva actually pitches for the Yanks, they owe him (prorated) the MLB minimum salary. If he never gets back to the bigs? They owe him next to nothing (with both the Cubs and Seattle picking up his 11.5M for this, the last year of his deal.

I am not a Yankees’ fan. But this is a smart front office move. People (or, perhaps White Sox fans- gee, they are not ALL like this, are they) should get a grip.

Three legends off to Cooperstown