Apr 9, 2011, 10:20 AM EST
Scott Kazmir may have just reached Oliver Perez territory.
According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles, the Angels have placed former phenom left-hander Scott Kazmir on the 15-day disabled list with lower back stiffness. Matt Palmer was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake and will replace him in the starting rotation, at least in the short-term.
“It’s just lower-back tightness, nothing out of the ordinary,” Kazmir said. “It’s very frustrating. I just did a couple things to change my delivery, and it ended up stiffening up on me.”
I’m not going to say this injury isn’t legitimate, but considering that he’s coming off the worst start of his career, the timing is curious to say the least.
As we learned with Perez last season, the Angels can only keep Kazmir on a rehab assignment for so long. Because Kazmir has more than five years of service time, he has the right to refuse a minor league assignment. If the Angels were to cut him loose, they would be responsible for his $12 million salary for this season and the $2.5 million buyout on his option for 2012.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)