What they’re saying about Manny Ramirez’s retirement

Apr 9, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez

You’ve already heard what we had to say about Manny Ramirez‘s shocking retirement, but what about the rest of the baseball world?

From baseball writers to current players and former teammates and managers, here’s a quick sampling.

Bobby Jenks (via WEEI.com): “I look at it as this. You do it, you get caught, you’re an idiot. If you do it again you’re a dumbass. I mean, it’s sad to see. One of the greatest hitters, or one of them, to make the same mistake twice, same bad choice. And within a year and a half of each other? I don’t know, you know?”

Joe Posnanski: “But Manny — I don’t know how he did it. Some will say he did it with steroids, but that seems a copout to me … I suspect a whole lot more players than anyone will ever admit used steroids. How many of them hit baseballs like Manny Ramirez?”

David Ortiz (via CSNNE.com): “It’s crazy, man. That’s the last thing I was expecting was for him to retire, and go through all of that situation. I don’t know all of the details. I’m like you guys, and just hearing about it. I’m just waiting for all of the rest of the stuff to come out. But it’s sad, man, that a player with that much talent and an unbelievable career . . . to get him out of the game with all of the negativity.”

Buster Olney (via ESPN Insider): “Let’s be real about this: Manny Ramirez wasn’t the only one who cashed in on Manny being Manny. The Indians and the Red Sox and the Dodgers made money from his production and from that what-a-wild-crazy-guy image — Mannywood? — and the media feasted, as well; there were probably more words written and spoken about Manny in the past decade than any player not named Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens.”

Ozzie Guillen (via MLB.com): “That’s the first thing I told the players in the meetings: They’re not playing around. If you get caught, you should be punished, because now we know for the last five or six years they’re after this, and any players that do that, they’re taking a risk. They even check me, and I’m not even playing. That’s why I have this big belly.”

Nick Cafardo: “We always said Ramirez was oblivious to the world around him. But you just wonder if one day he’ll stop and think, what on earth have I done? He had it all. For a shy kid who grew up in New York City after coming to this country from the Dominican Republic, he made people say “Wow.’’ He did that when scouts first laid eyes on him and he did it again yesterday, but for the wrong reason. So long, Manny. You could have been the greatest.”

Andre Ethier (via the Los Angeles Times): “I remember watching him playing growing up. You never really think you’ll get a chance to play with him. It’s tough to see. It’s unfortunate. I guess when you’re at the top and you feel yourself slipping, you’ll find any way to stay there.”

David Schoenfield: “I’m going to miss him. Baseball is a long, slow grind, full of players often indistinguishable from one another. Manny made the sport more entertaining, and I don’t think you’ll find too many Indians or Red Sox fans who will tell you they wouldn’t have wanted him on their teams.”

Johnny Damon (via the St. Petersburg Times): “It’s unfortunate. I don’t know everything that’s been brought up. All I know is he was a great teammate and a great player, and I think the other part is just an unfortunate thing. It’s going to be sad not seeing Manny Ramirez around a baseball field.”

1. baseballstars - Apr 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Manny Ramirez was a prodigy. Check out his high school numbers. He’s always been able to crush the ball. When he was called up to Cleveland, he helped formed a VERY dangerous bottom of the lineup on a powerful offense. During this time, he was my favorite player. Who knows when he started cheating. However, I grew to dislike him when he played for Boston, as I grew completely tired of the “Manny being Manny” shtick used to explain his bizarre, lackadaisical, and unfocused attitude, as well as his greatness and clutch hitting. He won’t be remembered for all the home runs he hit. He will be remembered as a me-first baseball player who was extremely talented, but failed two drug tests and quit on the Red Sox during the 2007 season.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Correction: 2006 season, and 2008 season.

• baseballstars - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Yes, you’re correct. He pouted and sandbagged his way through the 2008 season until he forced the Red Sox to trade him. Almost a similar situation to Gary Sheffield, and I don’t think the HOF voters will look kindly on either.

2. jamie54 - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

What is oh so unfortunate? It’s so unfortunate, snif, snif, because he’s so stupid? It’s unfortunate he finally got caught? I don’t get it, what’s so unfortunate about it? He made over $200 million in his career, did you call that unfortunate? No one needs to feel sorry at all for him. Of all the quotes I think Jenks’ was the most accurate.

3. luckywi - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Hmm..I think Manny may have inflated his numbers with illegal drugs. I, for one, am shocked.

4. ocgunslinger - Apr 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Gives new meaning to the phrase “Manny being Manny” to Manny being Stupid”.

5. deathmonkey41 - Apr 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

David Ortiz is shocked? His name was on that original list along with Manny. The Red Sox World Series teams were juiced to the hilt. Who is he trying to kid?

• pisano - Apr 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Good point, but lets not put the blame on the Sox teams, hell most of baseball was on roids. Anything these guys could take/use to enhance their performance which would get them a bigger contract they used/took.

6. henryd3rd - Apr 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Friends, Baseball fans and Red Sox Fans lend me your ears I come to bury Manny not to praise Manny. The evil that men do lives after them, The good is oft interréd with their bones. So let it be with Manny. The noble Bud has told you that Manny failed another drug test so let him retire and please take the noble Barry and Rodger with him into into Baseball purgatory and let the BBW decide if they get into the HOF .

This is truly a Shakespearean tragedy. If I wrote a screenplay with these characters, i.e., Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro and Manny I would have been throw out of the screen writers guild. Say one thing for Palmeiro, he went quietly into the night and never to be heard from again. If only Manny could have done the same.

7. rossesmithii - Apr 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Don’t forget a silent but vast group of hidden roid’s takers. They are the supporting cast. In fact you are only picking on them because they are the elite, the rest of just wannabe’s otherwise it would be their name your quoting.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate