Apr 10, 2011, 1:09 PM EST
For the first time since fracturing a bone in his left hand in late March, Astros infielder Clint Barmes was able to put on a glove Saturday and play catch.
The 32-year-old reported no abnormal pain or discomfort in his hand during or after the light workout and still has his sights set on a late April or early May return to the major leagues.
Barmes spoke Sunday morning with Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle and seemed optimistic about reaching that goal:
“It was sore, but I didn’t expect to come out and feel 100 percent on my first day,” Barmes said. “It was great to be out on the field with a glove on my hand.”
Barmes is aiming to take dry swings with a bat on Monday, then he’ll slowly progress to live batting practice. Once activated from the disabled list, he should begin seeing regular starts at shortstop for Houston.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)