Apr 10, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz had a rough outing on Saturday afternoon against the Yankees, allowing eight hits and five runs before getting yanked in the middle of the fourth inning. That one rough patch hasn’t scared off the well-run Sox.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, Buchholz agreed to a four-year contract extension on Sunday afternoon that carries a total value of around $30 million.
The deal will cover all three of his arbitration years and his first season of free agency. He’s making just over the league minimum this season.
Buchholz, 26, first made his way to the major leagues in 2007 and finished with a stellar 2.33 ERA and 1.20 WHIP last year. He has ace-like potential and should be a reliable starter for the Red Sox over the course of the new pact. Lefty Jon Lester signed a similar five-year, $30 million contract in March of 2009 and that has obviously worked out well. Boston will hope for more of the same with the right-handed Buchholz.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)