Apr 10, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman got an on-field visit from a team trainer on Saturday night after taking a rough slide into second base.
He stayed in the game and finished out the Nats’ 8-4 loss, but, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, he is not playing on Sunday.
The Nationals haven’t yet commented about the apparent injury, so it’s unclear if his absence in today’s starting lineup is connected to that slide. But it’s probably a safe assumption.
Alex Cora is playing third base in place of Zimmerman against Mets right-hander Chris Young. Zim is batting .357/.486/.536 with a homer, a triple, four RBI and seven walks through eight games this season.
UPDATE: Bill Ladson of MLB.com brings the update. Zimmerman has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain and is expected to miss the next couple of days. Cora should see regular action at the hot corner.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)