Apr 10, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman got an on-field visit from a team trainer on Saturday night after taking a rough slide into second base.
He stayed in the game and finished out the Nats’ 8-4 loss, but, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, he is not playing on Sunday.
The Nationals haven’t yet commented about the apparent injury, so it’s unclear if his absence in today’s starting lineup is connected to that slide. But it’s probably a safe assumption.
Alex Cora is playing third base in place of Zimmerman against Mets right-hander Chris Young. Zim is batting .357/.486/.536 with a homer, a triple, four RBI and seven walks through eight games this season.
UPDATE: Bill Ladson of MLB.com brings the update. Zimmerman has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain and is expected to miss the next couple of days. Cora should see regular action at the hot corner.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)