Apr 10, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman got an on-field visit from a team trainer on Saturday night after taking a rough slide into second base.
He stayed in the game and finished out the Nats’ 8-4 loss, but, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, he is not playing on Sunday.
The Nationals haven’t yet commented about the apparent injury, so it’s unclear if his absence in today’s starting lineup is connected to that slide. But it’s probably a safe assumption.
Alex Cora is playing third base in place of Zimmerman against Mets right-hander Chris Young. Zim is batting .357/.486/.536 with a homer, a triple, four RBI and seven walks through eight games this season.
UPDATE: Bill Ladson of MLB.com brings the update. Zimmerman has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain and is expected to miss the next couple of days. Cora should see regular action at the hot corner.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)