Apr 10, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman got an on-field visit from a team trainer on Saturday night after taking a rough slide into second base.
He stayed in the game and finished out the Nats’ 8-4 loss, but, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, he is not playing on Sunday.
The Nationals haven’t yet commented about the apparent injury, so it’s unclear if his absence in today’s starting lineup is connected to that slide. But it’s probably a safe assumption.
Alex Cora is playing third base in place of Zimmerman against Mets right-hander Chris Young. Zim is batting .357/.486/.536 with a homer, a triple, four RBI and seven walks through eight games this season.
UPDATE: Bill Ladson of MLB.com brings the update. Zimmerman has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain and is expected to miss the next couple of days. Cora should see regular action at the hot corner.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)