Apr 11, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Kevin Jepsen has been one of the Angels’ primary setup men since 2009 and posted a 3.97 ERA with 61 strikeouts in 59 innings last season, so he was understandably caught off guard when they demoted him to Triple-A yesterday:
You think? Yeah, it caught me by surprise. This is always difficult to swallow.
Mike Scioscia talked about Jepsen “getting back to basics, throwing his good, live fastball with command,” but in reality his having a minor-league option remaining likely played a bigger factor in his demotion than allowing three runs in four innings to begin the year.
After all, as Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times points out Jason Bulger has walked eight batters in five innings without anywhere near Jepsen’s track record of success and he remains in the Angels’ bullpen because they can’t send him to Triple-A without clearing waivers first.
Michael Kohn, who had a ton of sucess after debuting in July last season, joins Jepsen in heading to Triple-A, as the Angels created one roster spot for 21-year-old Tyler Chatwood sliding into the rotation and another for veteran reliever Scott Downs coming off the disabled list.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)