Apr 11, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Kevin Jepsen has been one of the Angels’ primary setup men since 2009 and posted a 3.97 ERA with 61 strikeouts in 59 innings last season, so he was understandably caught off guard when they demoted him to Triple-A yesterday:
You think? Yeah, it caught me by surprise. This is always difficult to swallow.
Mike Scioscia talked about Jepsen “getting back to basics, throwing his good, live fastball with command,” but in reality his having a minor-league option remaining likely played a bigger factor in his demotion than allowing three runs in four innings to begin the year.
After all, as Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times points out Jason Bulger has walked eight batters in five innings without anywhere near Jepsen’s track record of success and he remains in the Angels’ bullpen because they can’t send him to Triple-A without clearing waivers first.
Michael Kohn, who had a ton of sucess after debuting in July last season, joins Jepsen in heading to Triple-A, as the Angels created one roster spot for 21-year-old Tyler Chatwood sliding into the rotation and another for veteran reliever Scott Downs coming off the disabled list.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 82
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 69
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 43
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (87)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)