Apr 11, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
The Brewers on Monday reinstated catcher Jonathan Lucroy from the disabled list and designated outfielder Jeremy Reed for assignment.
Lucroy took over as the Brewers’ starting catcher after Gregg Zaun got hurt last season and hit .253/.300/.329 with four homers in 277 at-bats. He missed the entire exhibition season and the first week and the half of the regular season with a broken finger sustained in spring drills.
Before Lucroy got hurt, one of the Brewers’ questions this season was whether incumbent George Kottaras or journeyman Wil Nieves would function as his backup. Even after getting a longer look at both than anticipated, the Brewers still weren’t willing to make that call Monday, dropping outfielder Jeremy Reed instead. Reed hadn’t started a game this season and was 0-for-7 off the bench.
So, until Corey Hart comes off the disabled list, probably in about a week, the Brewers will go with three catchers. Kottaras started five games to Nieves’ four while Lucroy was out, if that’s any indication of how the team is leaning.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)