Apr 11, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
The Brewers on Monday reinstated catcher Jonathan Lucroy from the disabled list and designated outfielder Jeremy Reed for assignment.
Lucroy took over as the Brewers’ starting catcher after Gregg Zaun got hurt last season and hit .253/.300/.329 with four homers in 277 at-bats. He missed the entire exhibition season and the first week and the half of the regular season with a broken finger sustained in spring drills.
Before Lucroy got hurt, one of the Brewers’ questions this season was whether incumbent George Kottaras or journeyman Wil Nieves would function as his backup. Even after getting a longer look at both than anticipated, the Brewers still weren’t willing to make that call Monday, dropping outfielder Jeremy Reed instead. Reed hadn’t started a game this season and was 0-for-7 off the bench.
So, until Corey Hart comes off the disabled list, probably in about a week, the Brewers will go with three catchers. Kottaras started five games to Nieves’ four while Lucroy was out, if that’s any indication of how the team is leaning.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)