Apr 11, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
I engage in a fair amount of Phillies fan baiting — it’s a hoot! — but sometimes I don’t even have to bait them. Here is some fun stuff from the ATH comments this morning:
You mentioned Friday when the Phillies offense could only muster 3 runs saying “that’s what happens when you face a real MLB pitching staff” or something very close to that. So what does it say when they drop double digits the next to [sic] games, one being your opening day starter? Does that mean only Fridays guy is a legit MLB pitcher? Interesting… You should at least ate [sic] some crow in this days ATH.
Man, I guess I missed that game yesterday when the Phillies scored double digits against Derek Lowe. I only read about the one in which they scored two runs off Lowe and an unearned one off Craig Kimbrel. I bet that shellacking of Lowe was pretty good, though. Then there was this:
Listen here, Braves loser. From day one on this blog, you have given the Phillies no respect at all. The only thing validated here is your lack of respect for a team that is clearly better than your beloved Braves. So, start showing more respect and pay homage to a Phillies team that took two out of three this weekend.
I know. I’m such a hater. I mean, aside from picking the Phillies to win the NL Pennant, spending a good part of last week arguing that it was unreasonable to count their lineup out, saying on multiple occasions that Charlie Manuel is my favorite active manager and going on record multiple times saying that I’m an avowed Roy Halladay fan and that I think that he is once again the favorite to win the Cy Young, I have nothing but bile for those guys. More!
I’ve read (and heard your interview on 610WIP in Philly) on numerous occasions suggesting that the Phillies do not have the depth they had in previous years to win the division. Which is fine. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
I’ve been on WIP with Angelo and the gang twice since the first of the year. Both times I dismissed the doubters and reaffirmed my belief that the Phillies are fine and that they’ll win the East. Am I entitled to that opinion too, or just the imaginary ones? Finally:
What I really do take offense to is your lack of respect towards the Phillies fans themselves.
No. Just some of them!
To be fair, though, this is not representative of the Phillies fans I know in real life and, for that matter, the Phillies fans who comment on HBT. I understand that every fan base has a subset of nutjobs. It’s just that, for some reason, the nutjobs who follow the other 29 teams don’t seem to show up here very often …
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)