Comment(s) of the Day: Great Moments in Phillies Fans

Apr 11, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Phillies fans AP

I engage in a fair amount of Phillies fan baiting — it’s a hoot! — but sometimes I don’t even have to bait them.  Here is some fun stuff from the ATH comments this morning:

You mentioned Friday when the Phillies offense could only muster 3 runs saying “that’s what happens when you face a real MLB pitching staff” or something very close to that. So what does it say when they drop double digits the next to [sic] games, one being your opening day starter? Does that mean only Fridays guy is a legit MLB pitcher? Interesting… You should at least ate [sic] some crow in this days ATH.

Man, I guess I missed that game yesterday when the Phillies scored double digits against Derek Lowe. I only read about the one in which they scored two runs off Lowe and an unearned one off Craig Kimbrel. I bet that shellacking of Lowe was pretty good, though.  Then there was this:

Listen here, Braves loser. From day one on this blog, you have given the Phillies no respect at all. The only thing validated here is your lack of respect for a team that is clearly better than your beloved Braves. So, start showing more respect and pay homage to a Phillies team that took two out of three this weekend.

I know. I’m such a hater. I mean, aside from picking the Phillies to win the NL Pennant, spending a good part of last week arguing that it was unreasonable to count their lineup out, saying on multiple occasions that Charlie Manuel is my favorite active manager and going on record multiple times saying that I’m an avowed Roy Halladay fan and that I think that he is once again the favorite to win the Cy Young, I have nothing but bile for those guys.  More!

I’ve read (and heard your interview on 610WIP in Philly) on numerous occasions suggesting that the Phillies do not have the depth they had in previous years to win the division. Which is fine. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I’ve been on WIP with Angelo and the gang twice since the first of the year. Both times I dismissed the doubters and reaffirmed my belief that the Phillies are fine and that they’ll win the East. Am I entitled to that opinion too, or just the imaginary ones?  Finally:

What I really do take offense to is your lack of respect towards the Phillies fans themselves.

No. Just some of them!

To be fair, though, this is not representative of the Phillies fans I know in real life and, for that matter, the Phillies fans who comment on HBT.  I understand that every fan base has a subset of nutjobs.  It’s just that, for some reason, the nutjobs who follow the other 29 teams don’t seem to show up here very often …

1. cktai - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM

well there is yankeefanlen :D

2. mharenza - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Yawn….Craig, find new material. You are genuinely good a your job and are better than this type of “journalism.”

• billtpa - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Misuse of quotation marks: that implies that Craig or someone else before you attempted to call this “journalism,” which I suspect no one would.
      It was a thing I found entertaining. If you did not, you were free not to read it. Always puzzled by people who view comments threads as a space to lecture the writer on how he should be living his life.

• mharenza - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Always find it curious when people use comment sections to lecture other commenter’s about they way they should leave comments.

3. mercyflush - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

We see through you Craig. Picking them to beat out your own team for the division is a slick move, and your general respect for the coaching staff, players and front office of the Phillies might trick some non-Phillies fans, however we are smart enough to see you how you truly are: a Phillies hater.

Don’t you dare continue to speak highly of the Phillies. We will not have it.

4. shaggylocks - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Two runs! That’s double digits! One, two!

5. halladaysbicepts - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Craig, spoken like a true Braves fan. You are obviously so obsessed with the anti-Phillies sentiment that you chose to devote a blog entry to this subject. You can say all you want about the imaginary words that we attribute to you, but I’m surprised that this much verbal vomit can come from one individual.

By the way, what was the attendance for the Braves after their home opener? 15,000? How many more times do we have to see Bobby Cox now that’s he retired? Is that all your fan base has to look forward to?

Brave fans have nothing else to do than be jealous of the Phillies and bash them. Pathetic, I say. When were 15 games up on the rest of the NL East, you can keep the bashing up. It’s OK.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

It was 51,331, but thanks for playing.

• mdpickles - Apr 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM

They showed Cox so much, that I thought the game was sponsored by the LGBT society…jk..jk, I’ll stick to my day job. I did catch Bobby throwing in some chewing tobacco in his mouth like it was sunflower seeds

• Brian - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

halladaysbicepts said: I’m surprised that this much verbal vomit can come from one individual.

wow, truer words have never been spoken. you need a little pepto?

you know, craig’s not bashing the phillies or phillies fans. he’s bashing you.

• phillychris - Apr 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Wow. I didn’t realize this was going to start a whole new post. I thank you. (1) I am just coming back to see this now after posting on Monday morning. I am from Philadelphia but have been living in the OC the last 6 years. I have been coming to this site every day, at least 3 or 4 times a day (except lately because I started a new job), to get my every baseball news. This was literally the 2nd or 3rd time I think I wrote in the comments. I usually just keep to myself, but there is one pet peeve of mine I have when it comes to baseball, which I follow myself, “Don’t brag until the series is over”. I don’t talk smack on game 1 when games 2 and 3 are still there. If you would have said the comments after the series, and the Braves won 2 out of 3, BOOM, I don’t have a leg to stand on. But that little subtle jab about our lineup finally facing a real NL rotation got me. Congrats to you Craig. You keep writing and I will keep reading. (2) Damn auto correct. I didn’t help my cause with all the misspellings. I am only on day 4 of the iPhone. I am beginning to realize I need to type slower and go over what I wrote. Thanks again for giving me my own post!!!

Regards,
      Chris

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Reverse Psychology now?? Your “Haterism” knows no limits does it? You are a terrible SOB of a person and I hate you!! I think I’m getting better at this now..

Oh yeah, Decaf tea with honey as the sweetener, My kid loves it for his strep, hope the little ones get better soon.

7. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I think you’ll find that the crazies from other team’s fanbases will show up if you provide food. I suggest frying up cheese curds for the Brewers and Twins’ nutjobs; they should smell it and come running.

• uberfatty - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Free cheese curds? Where?

What, they aren’t free??!?!? This is the worst blog EVAR.

#gobrewcrew

• ThatGuy - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Cheesecurds? Where… is it lunchtime yet?

8. sjhaack - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM

The crazies from other teams show up, Craig. They’re just not nearly as much fun to poke as we are.

9. mox19380 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I read this page often and think you tend to have good insight. For a month or two you’ll provide nothing but positive and material, opinions, facts, and behind the scenes knowledge. And then once and a while for whatever reason you drop these type of puff posts.

If you send mail offering $100 dollars in free chips, compulsive gamblers will show up at your casino…

What I wish is that Phillies fans wouldn’t bite. Don’t be lured in by posts and plebeian comments that are intended only to draw your ire so he can post it and reap the rewards.

And to Craig… it seems to me (as a reader of your page) that you being an educated man would be above this… BUT perhaps my expectations of the journalism are idealistic

10. thevandalen - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

It’s a little early in the week to be this bored at work already. C’mon Craig…

11. easports82 - Apr 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

It’s like they don’t realize they have the same number of championships over the last 25 years.

12. cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I don’t care what any of you say, especially you Craig. I love Philly crazy people. They are nuttier than any other nuts, salted, roasted, or just raw, they win the nut awards. Also they are not just garden variety nuts; they got the infinite vagary of the pantheon of nuts. Some of them are indeed plain old cashew nuts (the nut that curls round to look at its own a$$). Some are macadamia off the wall nuts. Others specialize in pine nuttyness while their bastard children go in for ‘trail mix with banana chip’ nuts. Most are quite charming. One or two clearly got the nut fungus and the odd one is just rotten from soaking in the boggy end of the nut garden too long. Every one of them amuse me. Luv ya Philly Phaithphul; stay crazy! And leave the Jay’s starting rotation alone; if you take one more of our ace pitchers I’m gonna slow roast some of you as a lesson to the others. You’ve been warned.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I’m with you Cur68. I love the insanity, I just choose to observe it rather than be it. What do people expect anyway? Most Phillies fans are from Philly and New Jersey. Duhhh. Myself, I hope Craig keeps it up with his little pokes intended or not, and I hope Philly fans continue to explode like a balloon when he does poke. In the name of entertainment, I hope it will continue unabated. BTW thanks for the best pitcher in the game right now, How’s Drabek been?

• Kevin S. - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Two pretty good outings. Needs to get his walks down, but hey.

How lucky are Phillie fans that the Jays decided to get something for Doc? They keep him, they probably push the edges of contention last year, and then with AA dumping Wells on Reagins, there’s a damn good chance that the Jays have both money and the realistic ability to compete to keep him around.

• cur68 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Jonny 5; prepare to be slow roasted over mesquite you cashew. Drabek’s just getting started. You’ll be crying nut-oil when he puts up a no hitter next month and Doc tears a cuticle on his baby toe and has sit down for a week or two.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I wish Drabek nothing but the best with the Jays. I always had high hopes for him and wished he wasn’t part of the package, even though it was still worth it.

And YOU Cur, better watch out. Is that Mr. Peanut behind you with a big cane? He’s coming for you. You don’t know where or when, but rest assured he’ll git ya. Don’t EFF with the Nuts from Philly!! Yes Mr. Peanut was born in PA.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM

What Jonny is saying here is that Zoo Joyzee IS the boggy end of the nut garden.

13. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Phillies fans are the cause of all the world’s wars. Phillies fans started herpes. Phillies fans killed Tupac. Evil people.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

No it was Biggie that was killed by Phills fans, get it right. How’s that herpes outbreak on your ding a ding dang a ding a long ling long btw??

• Old Gator - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Phillies fans killed Tupac? You’d think they would have been happy enough with garroting Atahualpa. Those horrible horsemeat and Velveeta sandwiches really go right to their synapses, especially at high altitude.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Gator, you get two thumbs up from me for the Spanish reign of thievery and genocide in the name of god reference.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Just so people don’t think I’m completely crazy, this may help to explain my reply to el bravo.

14. mcsnide - Apr 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

He’s right about Lowe, you know. In binary notation, two is 10.

15. tomemos - Apr 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM

My least favorite trend in sports–even more than stadium sponsorship, playoff inflation, and all that–may be the increasing use of “bias” to criticize sportswriters. More and more, fans believe that that any reporter who doesn’t like their favorite team has it in for that team. It’s childish and monotonous, and you see it everywhere.

16. fivetoolmike - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

You’re like Keith Law: biased against all 30 teams. Except you only hate the Phillies.

17. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM

You know what bothers me more than anything Craig has written? Or anything that Pedro Cerrano writes? Or the dimwit who has my rash as his name? Or the other idiot who just writes “nozzle” after everything I write? It’s the MORONS who continue to use “we” and “us” and “our” and “your”. Look, I don’t think it is too much to ask. Use “The Phillies” or “The Braves”. Don’t you see just how stupid THIS sounds…

“Craig, WE kicked YOUR asses this weekend. OUR pitchers dominated and OUR hitters kicked the crap out of YOUR pitchers. YOU suck. WE are the best.”

Bleh, I threw up 3 times before I finished writing that sentence.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

You know that ChrisFiorentinosRash is now going to be ChrisFiorentinosVomit, right, Chris?

• Kevin S. - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I don’t know who you are or what you’ve done with the real Fiorentino, but I’ve found myself agreeing with you far too much during this young season. I’m not prepared to live in such a world.

18. nicosamuelson2 - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM

“listen here, Braves loser.” -priceless

19. monsieurbear - Apr 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Mr. Calcaterra is engaging in revisionism. His original argument was that no reasonable person has counted the Phillies out. After it was pointed out that reasonable people have counted the Phillies out, he subtly recharacterizes his argument as it is unreasonable to count the Phillies out. Quite the lawyerly approach.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM

An otherwise reasonable person saying unreasonable things is being unreasonable.

• monsieurbear - Apr 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM

OK, I’ll play your game.

So David Schoenfield’s detailed analysis is “unreasonable”. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/8172/why-the-phillies-wont-make-the-playoffs

Did you even read it? Perhaps Judge Calcaterra is the sole arbiter of “reasonableness”, any evidence notwithstanding. Or is any disagreement with Mr. Calcaterra now “unreasonable” by definition?

Bill Baer didn’t agree with Schoenfield’s analysis, but didn’t find it “unreasonable” (“I don’t agree with everything Schoenfield wrote. However, just because I disagree with him and he disparaged my favorite team doesn’t give me the right to question his integrity.”). http://crashburnalley.com/2011/04/02/breaking-down-david-schoenfields-phillies-prediction/

Bill Baer must be “unreasonable” for not finding Schoenfield’s opinion “unreasonable”, no?

You could have disparaged Ryan’s original remark in you posting, but you decided to double down, make the guy look totally foolish. Not only didn’t “a lot” of people count the Phillies out, “no one” did. Professionals-that-do-this-for-a-living predicted that the Phillies wouldn’t make the playoffs. Without any investigation of their reasoning, you blithely conclude that their opinions are “unreasonable”. So someone counting the Phillies out is equivalent to “no one” counting the Phillies out.

But wait, there remains your original quote: “No one, unless they’re just trolling for a reaction, has counted the Phillies out.” Response?

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I respect Schoenfield and his work, but he is dead wrong here about the Phillies and his headline — no doubt given to him by his editors — is pure page-view bait.

If you want to defend it on its own merits, be my guest. Explain to me why you think Schoenfield is correct and that the Phillies won’t make the playoffs. Defend the reasonableness of that contention. I choose not to.

If, on the other hand, you want to continue this discussion in terms of what-I-said-when-and-did-I-put-it-as-concisely-as-I-could have in a blog post from last week, you’re on your own, because we have nowhere else to go with it.

20. xmatt0926x - Apr 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I give Craig credit for at least admitting that he goes out of his way to bait Phillies fans here and there. Everyone knew this anyway. It is pretty funny most of the time and I’m all for some taunting and trash talk amongst fans of different teams. Of course I don’t see much difference between irrational fans or a well educated Lawyer who goes out of his way to bait them. It all seems childish to me and is kind of hypocritical when one side tells the other they are behaving badly. I believe TJ Simers was ripped on this site a while back for being someone who writes with the intent to inflame the readers. Anyway, Craig is still who I come here to read everyday even when it’s obvious he’s taking a cheap shot to get a response and then criticising the people for responding. I think I’m going to go check out that TJ Simers guy!! He came to my attention about a week or so on here when someone said he was pretty much a tool because he goes out of his way to make comments just to bait people…

21. vicksprman - Apr 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Damn all that find out why McCann was throwing f bombs at Chooch in the 9th inning?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3125)